Sanding Lignum Vitae

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nozzle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

i have been turning a nice lump of Lignum Vitae today. about 9inches square and 3 inches deep or so.
i have had no problems turning it, but when i get to the sanding stage the sandpaper continusaly gets clogged as expected due to the high oil content.
does any one have any tips for preventing this?
my tools are pretty sharp, i start my sanding at 180 grit and but wont go any further because the sandpaper gets clogged.

any suggestions would be appreciated

regards
Nozzle
(Paul)

I have used abranet before but only the 600 grit, i presume you can get all the same grits in abranet form as you can in sandpaper?

thanks for replies also :)

P.S: is there any technique i can use with normal sand paper such as maybe some meths (as an example) on the timber itself? to try and cut the surface oil away.

you can reduce the clogging by wet sanding using lemon oil as the lubricant, you have to use lots of it- you should also be able to start sanding at 240 grit if you neg scrape the surface

cornucopia":217q0d93 said:
you can reduce the clogging by wet sanding using lemon oil as the lubricant, you have to use lots of it- you should also be able to start sanding at 240 grit if you neg scrape the surface

Do you have to use lemon oil? as i have some food safe oil and also could you explain how i do a neg scrape please as i dont think ive done one before :?

thank you

Its a bit extravagent to use 100% lemon oil but in answer to your question the food safe stuff is still very thick, the benefit of the lemon oil is that it is quite a thin oil and allows the paper to cut better rather than provide a lubricant between the paper and the wood. I saw Mark Baker at a demo use finishing oil cut with about 15-20% lemon oil and that works a treat.

White spirit should be a cheaper alternative, basically used as a thinner for NAPHTHA based lemon oils.

I always use lemon oil so cant comment on any other alternatives

neg rake is a really simple technique that i first saw demo'd by Stuart Batty at the awgb seminar in 2005 (i think) i've been using it ever since. Stuart descibes it in detail here on page 17>24

nev":1v5x4qp1 said:
If its the same as that lump of palo santo in my other post, bog standard wet and dry(150, 240,320,400,600) with water from your local auto shop will work fine.

Nev , if they are out of water what is the alternative ,would natural water do . :? :?

boysie39":ybpe4u15 said:
nev":ybpe4u15 said:
If its the same as that lump of palo santo in my other post, bog standard wet and dry(150, 240,320,400,600) with water from your local auto shop will work fine.

Nev , if they are out of water what is the alternative ,would natural water do . :? :?

If you a few drops of liquified unobtainium (usually next to the striped paint) that would be fine. :wink:

Latest posts

Back