Safety?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
A new company has started to build and test UAVs at the airfield just up the road from me.
'Completely safe', they say, 'never been a fatality', they say.
Five minutes later one has skidded of the runway minus its undercart.
'No, it didn't crash', says Mr Mann, 'the controller realised that it was in trouble just after lift off so he put it down in a hurry!'
Never been a fatality, correct. The Americans test them in the middle of the desert!, not four miles from Cardigan and a mile from me.
I have news for Ray Mann. If it floats it can sink, if it flies it can crash.
He lives in Holland!
On the other hand there is the notice on a packet of bags for our vacuum cleaner.
'These bags should only be replaced by someone who has been properly trained!'
Note to self. Check which Uni does degrees in nappy changing.

Roy.

Not that large Dibs, about twenty foot span, but I still wouldn't want to be hit by it!

Roy.

Digit":3rje8do2 said:
Not that large Dibs, about twenty foot span, but I still wouldn't want to be hit by it!

Roy.

You mean like a baby Predator? Or the next generation version? :wink:

As you say - wouldn't want one of those flying anywhere near me!

Who knows, they don't tell us yokels owt!
I particularly liked the statement that 'all safety protocols were followed.'
No dung Sherlock, it still hit the deck outside the airfield perimeter.
Like 'unsinkable' ships, the Titanic, Bismark and Yamoto, all declared unsinkable.
Some people never learn do they?

Roy.

Digit

Feel sorry for you but it seems that these days we are all treated like mushrooms

Fed s..t and kept in the dark :evil:

Where i live they have practice runs into the wash for bombing etc, just as the gulf war first started it must have been busier than Heathrow round this way.

Martin

There is an upside as well actually, we used to on the flight path for low flying practice, and I mean low!
That's stopped now due to the UAVs.

Roy.

Digit said:
There is an upside as well actually, we used to on the flight path for low flying practice, and I mean low!

I live on a practice flight path (not UAVs, just fighter jets). I love it. Always gets my heart going when they come over so low. Dunno why people go to these air shows when they're kept miles away from the flight path. Just pay me 30 quid and you can hang around my back garden all day.

Dave

I lived beside a military airbase in Edmonton, Alberta when I went over to work in the summers to supplement meagre university grants and I loved it because there were all sorts of fantastic planes going in and out all day (and night).

Brendan

Actually I'm with you on that DD, but my wife isn't!
They have to practise somewhere after all, but UAVs are different, the daft thing is that Cardigan bay is less than a mile from the airfield and yet they want more flying space in land!
It is of course inevitable that eventually one is going to cause damage.
If they could guarantee performance they would not need to test them would they?
When they first extended the airfield recently the BS was doing more flying than the UAVs, and after having spent many years in the industry I knew it was BS!
Ray Mann, (made his money in waste disposal) even informed us that no one else in Britain knew how to run a commercial air field.
That really worried me!

Roy.

Back