Safety - What goggles, ear defenders and face mask?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MarkDennehy":1s6jmjy5 said:
Well, the Uvex goggles paid for themselves today, I was making an awkward (and probably stupid) cut on a piece of OSB sheeting that was attached to a stud and managed to get enough kickback off a trimming that it flew back and bounced off the goggles. Which was not something I thought could happen with a jigsaw, but it's always the things you don't expect that get you I suppose. Damn sight cheaper to have bought the goggles than to be buying a new eyeball...

WOW, lucky escape then mate, glad you are ok.

Yup, goes to show, if you're as dumb as I can be in my bad moments, you want every piece of protective equipment you can get (possibly not including condoms, but hey, why risk it?).

I've got the 3M mask with replaceable filters. Ideally I'd have gone for powered respirator but the cost, weight during extended use and excess power consumption steered me away.

The 3M is great. I get my filters on eBay - I'm fairly certain they have fallen off the back of a truck or mysteriously disappeared from a drawer at someone's place of work but they're cheap. I only use the mask occasionally so the filters last a good few months.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I can also say 3m masks are good, the only downside being the filters are expensive, especially the P100 pink ones, which are the ones I use mostly, and you do have to change them.

Peltor III is great, more than good enough, and bolle are what I use for goggles.

I'm going to be getting my filters from ebay from now on though!

I use the ''disposable'' 3m 4251 Masks, Look on ebay for people selling them, I bought a pack of 5 for I think £8 a piece.
lasts me some good 3months with a lot of usage
ae235

Can you guys suggest me some glasses that are decent AND don't fog up as soon as you start to work more activly? I have some expensive Bole ones as well, yet they still Fog up like crazy, so I just use the full face shield when doing something as it gives way way way more protection anyway.

I would say that if your glassed are fogging up then your face mask isn't sealed properly - the only time any of my goggles fog, and I've used 3 different makes/models, is when I have breath leaking out of the top of my mask, a quick re-adjustment and it solves the problem.

Aggrajag":7n4x82gn said:
I would say that if your glassed are fogging up then your face mask isn't sealed properly - the only time any of my goggles fog, and I've used 3 different makes/models, is when I have breath leaking out of the top of my mask, a quick re-adjustment and it solves the problem.
I mean they get fogged up even without using the mask.. I have tried various safety goggles , all of them just fog up for me. The only thing that doesn't fogs up for me is full on face shield. I believe they fog up for me, because when I start working harder my face naturally starts to sweat and gives out water which fogs the glasses up..

^Yep. Happens to me too when I'm doing something requiring hefty amounts of elbow grease and often accompanied with some choice [foul] words for encouragement. I doubt there's much I can do about it other than ask the OH to mop my brow... never gonna happen!

Back