Safety specs with reading glasses lense....source?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Orm

Established Member
Reaction score
Just spotted an ad in the Axi catalogue for them but they are bi-focals with most of the lense clear. I've looked on Ebay and all the ones I can find are the same. I'm after some with a full lense at plus 2. Anyone???

Ditto, I have to wear safety glasses for work and I need prescription lenses, just get them from the high street optician.

I have a similar dilemma I've been trying to solve for ages.

Currently when not using anything lethal 2.0 ready readers perched on end of nose are fine but I would prefer a half clear half magnifying lens that I could wear all the time. Rather than trying to cope with the squitty little bi-focal sections you get on the Axi, Ebay et versions.

Am I searching vainly or should I just go to the opticians and get a pair? Presume an optician will give me something of better optical quality than the cheap polycarbonate ones I've had and used previously.

Trouble is the optician will think of a number and double it. The online ones are £8 to £12 plus p&p.

Grayorm":1xv1vrdm said:
Trouble is the optician will think of a number and double it. The online ones are £8 to £12 plus p&p.

Provided you've got your prescription, you should be able to get a good choice on line. There's a firm called something like Ciliary Blue(?) who seem to be a good compromise between price and quality. Both SWMBO and myself have had reading and safety specs from them, but there are several others if you look. Just make sure whoever you use has a pro-forma that asks for full details of your eyes, including inter-ocular distance as otherwise they can be uncomfortable for long use. But even opticians can get them wrong - my last pair of reading glasses were unusable until taken back for replacement lens.

Most of the high street opticians want to charge an arm and a leg for safety specs, and add vat which probably should not be included for safety gear.

dickm":19mra51o said:
Grayorm":19mra51o said:

Provided you've got your prescription, you should be able to get a good choice on line. There's a firm called something like Ciliary Blue(?) who seem to be a good compromise between price and quality. Both SWMBO and myself have had reading and safety specs from them, but there are several others if you look. Just make sure whoever you use has a pro-forma that asks for full details of your eyes, including inter-ocular distance as otherwise they can be uncomfortable for long use. But even opticians can get them wrong - my last pair of reading glasses were unusable until taken back for replacement lens.

Most of the high street opticians want to charge an arm and a leg for safety specs, and add vat which probably should not be included for safety gear.

Many thanks I've found them and will have a look :wink:

Back