RYOBI EMS254L

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomasgursky

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello guys. I'm just wondering if any of you have a experience with Ryobi EMS254L mitre saw? I'm in market to replace Evolution Rage 3s I bouht last year as it is only good for cutting logs as you won't be able to cut anything square and same all the time?
I've come across that Ryobi one but can't find any decent reviews about how accurate it is and what's overal satisfaction with it?

Thank you,
Tomas

I got a 12+year old ryobi 12' ryobi ems saw, a total beast I must say and very impressed with it,best saw I have ever used/tried.
However that model doesn't looks like any beast- just a cheap chinese tat which isn't even cheap.
ryobi used to be really nice brand years ago, don't think it's anything more than a diy brand these days however..

owsnap":nt15ptcj said:
I got a 12+year old ryobi 12' ryobi ems saw, a total beast I must say and very impressed with it,best saw I have ever used/tried.
However that model doesn't looks like any beast- just a cheap chinese tat which isn't even cheap.
ryobi used to be really nice brand years ago, don't think it's anything more than a diy brand these days however..

Were they ever anything more than a DIY brand?

When your saw was made they were selling on shopping channels, hardly the place where the trade shop.

it actually used to be rather decent brand , well maybe not the same level as makita, but they were very very decent ;)

Did they possibly have two lines? I've a Ryobi "Industrial" belt sander which is well constructed, does a good job and goes on and on. I had a Ryobi power plane that was awful, and after little use, gave up. Just stopped working.

It looks like there is difference between uk and us market as the ones you can see on us YouTube channels are different mitres than the ones selling on ryobi UK site. I don't care if they are rated as diy unless they have a decent accuracy and quality and are better than bloody evolution I've got now :(

tomasgursky":245xd4g0 said:
Hello guys. I'm just wondering if any of you have a experience with Ryobi EMS254L mitre saw? I'm in market to replace Evolution Rage 3s I bouht last year as it is only good for cutting logs as you won't be able to cut anything square and same all the time?
I've come across that Ryobi one but can't find any decent reviews about how accurate it is and what's overal satisfaction with it?

Thank you,
Tomas

I fear you'd almost be replacing like with like if you took this route. And yes, the Evolution 3s is a pile of rubbish. I bought one too...regretted it at first use, but hey, it makes lovely fire wood.

YorkshireMartin":13q1oas9 said:
tomasgursky":13q1oas9 said:

Thank you,
Tomas

I fear you'd almost be replacing like with like if you took this route. And yes, the Evolution 3s is a pile of rubbish. I bought one too...regretted it at first use, but hey, it makes lovely fire wood.

So what would you suggest then? To be honest I had a look at one in Homebase and it didn't look that bad apart of that it was not fully assembled. I also spoke to Ryobi and raise my concern about a play in a housing and they said that should this be a case I've got rights to take it back. On the other hand it won't be used that much as I've got a sled for my table saw but I can't use it on full length of wood (2400mm) as I've got no space so need to cut it on mitre saw first. At the moment I will cut a full length roughly so I can use it in my table saw sled but then I ended up wasting a bit of wood.

This is my third evolution as previous two were even worse. By bad as I could get my money back but as I was working on project and didn't have any budget I just went for this one as on the Screwfix webpage says Trade rated. Maybe fire wood trade.
So I don't want to make the same mistake twice I just don't see a point to spend £500+ on something very decent that won't be used as much.

tomasgursky":3c2fovv1 said:
YorkshireMartin":3c2fovv1 said:
tomasgursky":3c2fovv1 said:

Thank you,
Tomas

So what would you suggest then? To be honest I had a look at one in Homebase and it didn't look that bad apart of that it was not fully assembled. I also spoke to Ryobi and raise my concern about a play in a housing and they said that should this be a case I've got rights to take it back. On the other hand it won't be used that much as I've got a sled for my table saw but I can't use it on full length of wood (2400mm) as I've got no space so need to cut it on mitre saw first. At the moment I will cut a full length roughly so I can use it in my table saw sled but then I ended up wasting a bit of wood.

This is my third evolution as previous two were even worse. By bad as I could get my money back but as I was working on project and didn't have any budget I just went for this one as on the Screwfix webpage says Trade rated. Maybe fire wood trade.
So I don't want to make the same mistake twice I just don't see a point to spend £500+ on something very decent that won't be used as much.

I'm no expert but I'd need a bit more information first.

What is your budget and what do you plan to use it for? If you need accurate mitres, for example, for making furniture, then it's not going to be cheap. But if you're mitering door trims, then accuracy isn't as important.

The low end saws really all suffer from similar faults which make them essentially impossible to calibrate. How these faults present differs, but if you truly want a 45 degree mitre, you either need to spend a bit of money, or get something that cuts close, then finish it off with (good) hand tools.

I have the Makita 0714 (older version the newer ones are very poor I've read) It's a great little saw and I've been very pleased with it. But if you push hard enough then it moves side to side.
If you want it accurate then just go for a hinged model (no slide) with a bigger blade. The sliding models usually take up a lot of space behind them and are difficult to manufacture stiff enough that there is no play side to side when in use. The only things a sliding model offers is trench cutting but to be honest the depth stop is not accurate enough on mine to be any use. The other thing a slider does is it allows good setting of angles because you can touch the blade to your pencil line at multiple points along the cut to see if the angle you've set is drifting off the pencil line.

The thing that a more expensive saw excels at is repeat-ability. I can adjust my saws angle and just slide it back to the 90 degrees stop and it clicks into place exactly right every time.

-Neil

Thanks for all your input. I went to different Homebase today to check that saw and it does exactly the same as the first one I saw. The play from side to side. But it's not due to sliding mechanism but to the shaft in housing. It looks like the shaft is slightly undersized. I have since abandoned idea to buy this saw.
I think my budget is up to £300.

I used a Makita today and I'd say it was poor. Also the laser runs on battery and not off the mains supply? My dodgy B&Q McAlister CSMS is actually better. Also my blade is better and the Makita gave a terrible finish but I do think this was the blade. The positives are that it stopped quickly. However it wasn't square.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

..as per another recent post....I have spent ages looking and finally ended up with a Metabo. Not had chance to really test the accuracy, but initial thoughts are its a reasonable compromise cost v quality. Would have liked the Bosch..but could not justify £450 odd quid. Equally I looked at the "budget" / low cost saws, and agree only really suitable for rough work / firewood...I guess you pays your money...etc

Latest posts

Back