Rutlands dust collector???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

large red

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am thinking about ordering the Rutlands 50 ltr dust collector that's on special offer today, well actually it's all ways on special offer but hey they sent me an email today so I may buy it. My dust control at the moment is breathing trough my nose, adopting my safety squint and using a dust pan and brush when it becomes difficult to walk or I lose my hammer when I drop It!
Has anyone bought or seen the 50ltr dust collector from Rutlands work ? Would I be better off spending more? I don't mind spending more if I need to but let's face it dust extraction is exactly a exciting buy!

From all the reviews I have seen of it, people are unhappy with how loud it is. Apparently it's much louder than similar style machines from Sip, Record etc. Which is fair enough due to the price point, but something to consider.

Noise may be an issue, I don't have neighbours near by but I'm not the best at putting on ear defenders! Thanks for taking the time to reply

The reason I posted the link to extraction it is not clear if you just want to collect dust from sanding or chip of wood from larger machines, can't realistically recommend anything until we know what it is your trying to collect.

Mike

It's loud, but very effective, just adds that extra nudge to don the ear defenders when using on the Table Top thicknesser.
I use a Pre-filter bag over the cartridge filter.

Clears my 14" bandsaw OK, and a 12" disk sander.

Motor seems aggressive on start-up, spark flash visible in low light conditions but it's been in use a couple of years now and still going strong.

I have basically that, though a different brand it's the same chinese junk. In my opinion it's not a dust collector, it's a shop vac with too big a hose. I remade mine into a shop vac with cyclone separator and 50mm hose. In that capacity it works much better.

35111996743_3e1321e433_b.jpg

NickN":7kqiypoy said:
My review (short one):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68Dpt-VFiQU

And yes, it's loud, for hobby use I don't see it as a problem but I wouldn't want it running all day. But it is very powerful and does an excellent job, especially considering the price.
Just out of interest, how long ago did you buy yours? Would you buy it again?
Yours is £5 cheaper than it is on offer for today so I guess I don't have to rush if I want to take advantage of the special offer!
Thanks for the video it's very informative, I've liked and subscribed!

DennisCA":m6p5hwt5 said:
I have basically that, though a different brand it's the same chinese junk. In my opinion it's not a dust collector, it's a shop vac with too big a hose. I remade mine into a shop vac with cyclone separator and 50mm hose. In that capacity it works much better.

35111996743_3e1321e433_b.jpg
Why do you have a dalek in your workshop? and what on earth is it doing to your planer!!

large red":12f8j7ou said:
Yours is £5 cheaper than it is on offer for today so I guess I don't have to rush if I want to take advantage of the special offer!

Ah, mine was £5 cheaper only because I had a £5 voucher from Rutlands as I hadn't bought anything from them for a few months! So I think today's offer price is about as good as it gets, probably.

If I had the money to spare I'd probably go for a Camvac, but even those are not exactly quiet, and they're four times the price, so at the time this was an easy decision to buy.

Glad you found the video useful too. Need to get on and make some more, but just getting over the worst cold I've had for a long time.

NickN":kuttqdvt said:
large red":kuttqdvt said:

Ah, mine was £5 cheaper only because I had a £5 voucher from Rutlands as I hadn't bought anything from them for a few months! So I think today's offer price is about as good as it gets, probably.

If I had the money to spare I'd probably go for a Camvac, but even those are not exactly quiet, and they're four times the price, so at the time this was an easy decision to buy.

Glad you found the video useful too. Need to get on and make some more, but just getting over the worst cold I've had for a long time.
I think....... I'll leave the Rutlands one where it is and buy a better one thanks for the nudge on the Camvac I'll look into one of them. But then again, I may just buy a Domino, sod the dust.

Large Red....
Hopefully you are not as cavalier as you make out about dust collection. You will only get one set of lungs. If you think filling them with dust is no problem you should research;
emphysemia
black lung
copd.

Get some dust collection going before you become a statistic

Hi I bought the rutlands dust collector and yes it is noisy, however what I did was install it in a case made of 9mm ply put some wheels on the bottom of it so not only is it now quiet it is also extremely maneuverable. I also use a powered respirator, a air cleaner and have a extractor fan in the wall. I have to say it is not bad at all in the dust/chip collecting dept.

johnt64":nwhsliho said:
Hi I bought the rutlands dust collector and yes it is noisy, however what I did was install it in a case made of 9mm ply put some wheels on the bottom of it so not only is it now quiet it is also extremely maneuverable.

Ah that's interesting, I might try that.

Is there an issue of it getting too hot if it's enclosed in a box?

With a suction of 53lts/sec which equates to 190.8M3/hr you are not going to be clearing anything, but dust, its basically a vacuum cleaner (HPLV) and not a very powerful one at that, my Numatic at 380m3/hr does not clear my planer/thicknesser or router table very effectively, it will pick up a lot, but just one piece of recalcitrant chipping and the rest will block up behind it in no time, for that sort of clearance you will need a Chip extractor (LPHV) its a fact, but neither can do the job of the other, therefore you need both.

Mike

MikeJhn":1qe8lol3 said:
With a suction of 53lts/sec which equates to 190.8M3/hr you are not going to be clearing anything, but dust, its basically a vacuum cleaner (HPLV) and not a very powerful one at that, my Numatic at 380m3/hr does not clear my planer/thicknesser or router table very effectively, it will pick up a lot, but just one piece of recalcitrant chipping and the rest will block up behind it in no time, for that sort of clearance you will need a Chip extractor (LPHV) its a fact, but neither can do the job of the other, therefore you need both.

Mike
Both!!! I have only just got on board with one, what about a cyclone? I know nothing about dust extraction by the way. So thanks for your help.

A cyclone does nothing for the suction capacity or effectiveness of any dust/chip collector, all it does is help delay the cleaning of the main units filter.

Mike

Back