Rustrpoofing a toilet seat!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
The postman has just delivered a frighteningly expensive new loo seat.

'Frighteningly' expensive, only because it's a circular one, apparently of unique design, and, given the design of WC (below), I'm rather stuck with it, as no other design will go into a corner like that.

J17600(1)_l.jpg

It's replacing an identical seat, on which the hinges first broke (a dodgy spot weld snapped), then rusted out over time (my own SS welding skills aren't that good!). Apparently, 'they all do that, Sir.' The ladies of the household are unimpressed with the present situation, but still coping womanfully with a rather-too-mobile 'buttock support'. This means I have a little time to do something to delay rust starting on the new seat hinge, if I can.

Here's the hinge design. The bit that fails is the top curved part. The supposedly stainless screws also rot, which is why I couldn't just buy the hinge on its own:

ideal-standard-space-wc-toilet-seat-hinges-2804-p.jpg

Everything's nominally stainless (for cheap+nasty values of 'stainless'), but I'm minded to coat the components in clear polyurethane (and let it harden well), before fitting it.

Has anyone got a better suggestion?

Thanks,

E.

Coating in something plasticy like polyurethane certainly wouldn't do any harm. However, if these hinge bits have failed before (i.e. hinge part sheared off from the strap) due to "rust" then the welds are most probably the cause and there is nothing you can do about it. The rusting will start from within the weld zone caused by internal stresses. rubbish welding in poor quality steel = programmed short life span.

Sorry :)

Loz_S":1ajgf56q said:
Coating in something plasticy like polyurethane certainly wouldn't do any harm. However, if these hinge bits have failed before (i.e. hinge part sheared off from the strap) due to "rust" then the welds are most probably the cause and there is nothing you can do about it. The rusting will start from within the weld zone caused by internal stresses. rubbish welding in poor quality steel = programmed short life span.

Sorry :)

I fear you're right.

The seat has brass bushes for the SS machine screws holding the hinge on. I've a nasty feeling that's one reason why it's failing - electrolytic corrosion.

The new seat's welds are poor (again) too. I'm wondering if it's worth setting my MIG set up for stainless and putting a couple of extra beads on the bracket to hinge joints to strengthen them (where they fail). Last time I did this after it failed, and the repair rusted though. That's possibly because I let it get too hot or use enough argon, or possibly because I've got the wrong grade of SS wire.

Perhaps I'll just varnish it and hope for lightweight 'clients'...

I know it's not a quick fix, but could you not fabricate a brass set using the new SS as a model, then get the brass chromium or nickel plated?
S

Eric The Viking":12tumtab said:
Steve Maskery":12tumtab said:
Pvt_Ryan":12tumtab said:
Spray them every night with WD40?
I really can't see the Ladies of the Household submitting to that.
S

I was going to say, "whatever goes on in the privacy..."

Nope. I can't imagine that one being a winner round here, either!

hmm I probably should have said "the hinges" instead of "them". I can see how some of the more peversly minded might construe "them" to mean "the women", can't say it would be my lube of choice but each to their own..

I would consider Steve's suggestion or perhaps you can find some one who is actually good at welding Stainless and have them fabricate the parts out of a better grade of stainless steel. Have them make more than one set since you'll be using this toilet for a long time. You could always make the lid and seat from wood if you need to replace them later.

What a coincidence! I have just removed the hinge on my toilet seat for the same reason. My seat is a different type to this but the fittings were supposed to be top quality! It has only been in for a few months but it has rusted through like this. I am going to have to drill and tap the pivot on mine though. :roll:

I think maybe you have all missed my point! Oil spraying, painting, dipping and lacquering will only help prevent surface corrosion.

What I am suggesting is that failure will occur due to a metallurgical fault within the metal itself. The act of welding in "rubbish" metal forms inclusions within the grain structure of the metal. The "rust" will start inside the weld area and fail from the inside out. There is nothing that can be done to prevent this type of failure mode from happening!

Sorry for the 2nd time ;)

I think at least two of us got your point. Steve and I both suggested fabricating new parts or having them fabricated. They could be made out of brass as Steve suggests or higher grade stainless steel welded by someone who knows what they are doing. It is possible to weld stainless steel properly so it won't rust.

Dave R":3btyywai said:
I think at least two of us got your point. Steve and I both suggested fabricating new parts or having them fabricated. They could be made out of brass as Steve suggests or higher grade stainless steel welded by someone who knows what they are doing. It is possible to weld stainless steel properly so it won't rust.

@Steve, only teasing, honest!

Regarding the hinges: it's hard to see from the pics, but the biggest part is made from three pieces of steel strip - a curved piece round the seat and two that are curled for the hinges proper. These two are tack-welded, end-on, into tight-fitting stamped slots in the bigger strip. Then the messy bits are roughly ground off (taking most of the weld away!).

[rant] It's not surprising it doesn't work - why do we have idiots or cheats running production processes in the UK these days? I've just done a very expensive shower thermostat repair because the parts were badly made with the wrong materials, and my five-year-old boiler has FIVE leaks for no other reason than poor quality control. All these things were made here - I can't blame the Chinese!

'Built-in obsolescence' strikes me as basic dishonesty, especially when you're paying a premium price for a supposedly quality product. [/rant]

Meanwhile, in the day job, we have a couple of stainless fabrication companies as clients, so I think I'll ask one if they could spare me two 1/2" long beads of weld, to join the hinge pieces properly. Then assemble + polyurethane and it should outlast all of us!

Many thanks for everyone's ideas.

Best regaeds,

E.

We have a couple of TC metro toilets which have circular seats ( http://www.stormbathrooms.com/acatalog/ ... _Only.html ). The toilets actually came with the seats but also with a lifetime guarantee which we have used as the soft close mechanism has failed on both - we contacted TC and both times they sent a replacement set of hinge mechanisms.

Over the years we have had many toilet seats and have yet to fine one that doesn't fail, rust or otherwise corrode - I always assumed that this is a feature of the mildly acidic liquid associated with toilets and the occasional 'lack of accuracy'/spray problem!

Misterfish

I have been trying to find the make of my toilet it is the same as yours but wall hung
The seat fixings are identical and I need to replace them and the seat as the inserts corroded and came out
Can you tell me the make as I have searched for the seat everywhere no joy so far but spotted the article on rust proofing the hinge assembly
Hope you can assist
Cheers

I have an identical toilet seat but the toilet model is wall hung
I am trying to find a new seat and fittings but don't know the make and model can you advise
The space saving round shape is unusual all the DIY stores do not stock them or plumbers merchant I have tried plus searching on line also
Cheers

I've fitted a few of these space WCs over the years and never had any come back on the hinges, maybe you should consider your aim as I'm sure the welds trap any corrosive liquids. Again the presence of any liquids between the SS screws and brass inserts can set up electrolitic reactions which will rot out the screws over time.

J

I suggest the rot is nothing to do with the metal failing and that a certain remedy would be to pee in the grid outside. :p

Back