Rust in my little workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naughtymoose

Established Member
Reaction score
Over the past couple of weeks we have seen some quite big swings in the temperature, along with lots (LOTS!) of rain.

Today, I've noticed that the planes and other bits of metal are showing a very fine film of rust. Also, a glass Kilner jar containing white spirit has condensation on the outside.

Anyone else noticed similar? It's the first time it's happened in my workshop, as far as I'm aware.

In the same part of the world as you and don't see any moisture problems inside mine, a highly suspect RF contact hygrometer tells me timber in the 'shop is 7-12% RH but cast jointer surfaces don't rust nor does mild steel metalwork bench -
metalwork-bench.jpg
jointer.jpg

I'm a bit further north and have always had problems with rust.Living 150 yards from a river doesn't help but the humidity has been above 85% in the garden for months according to my weather station.It helps to keep the tools in a wooden toolbox.

I'm in North Yorkshire and I noticed some surface rust on my plane, also on my lathe bed too. I thought it might have been due to me having left a couple of pieces of green wood in ths shed for a few days. I have since noticed a wet patch on the inside of the shed roof too, on the opposite end to where my lathe is though.

I lived in Essex for 35 years without problem, then Merseyside for 5 years and similarly no issues. If I noticed any rust on cast iron surfaces it was a rare event and a light rub with 400 grit and a spot of honing oil did the job for the next few years.
I moved to Devon in Sept 2022 and things went downhill. I have previously described the amount of moisture as biblical, in fact I'd thought about getting an arc to replace one of the cars.
Part way through the 22-23 winter I realised I had a problem and bought some machine wax from Axminster Power Tool Centre, gave all surfaces a light rub with the 400 grit and then a wax. https://www.axminstertools.com/axmi...806?queryID=9dc7ccad79970fee038f1ab3488cc5e2I
I repeated the process mid winter and then have not had to do anything until a similar application late last year. I've also bought some ACF 50 anti corrosion spray that I applied to some bolts, threads and springs. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303049997445
I believe I'm now on top of the situation.

Colin

I'm up in North Eseex near the coast and I also use the Axminster Machine Wax......Two or three applications a year keeps the rust at bay on nearly all my machines.
The only machine that requires more than two or three applications per year is my Axminster 18" bandsaw.......Its cast iron table seems to rust far easier than any of my other machines, even the painted case is now showing signs of rust showing through it (I bought it new in 2014)

I find easiest way to remove a film of rust is a non-woven pad (red) with WD40. Wipe off residue with blue roll and apply machine wax. 10 mins to do planer/thicknesser.

Absolutely get this at this time of year.
I have a dehumidifier set to run 4-6pm daily in my single garage shop. This dries the air out before the temp falls overnight. It takes about a litre of water a day out of the air and helps.
You then have to cater for opening the door on a humid day and letting all that damp air hit metal that's been chilling overnight.
That can look like you had rain inside your workshop. Massive running condensation !
The only way to prevent that is to stop the damp air coming in or heat up the cold surfaces first.
That isn't easy, so I use rust preventatives, wax, and cover the most vulnerable surfaces.
The problem goes away as the night time temps rise and the metalwork isn't so cold in the morning, there will always be rainy days with v high humidity but if the surfaces aren't so cold, the condensation risk is less.

My Hammer A3 31 planer thicknesser has the largest surface area and once I've waxed it up, i cover the beds in a couple of old towels.
This method really helps to prevent any rust from forming.
I adopt the same method on my Charnwood Router table and both machines surfaces seem to have lasted well with minimal signs of deterioration.

Sideways
The only way to prevent that is to stop the damp air coming in or heat up the cold surfaces first.
Yes, I think this is the solution. It is the first time it has happened, and obviously wasn't helped by me turning on my little electric fan heater to warm things up.

I tried to replicate the conditions this morning, but to no avail. It clearly was colder inside and more humid outside yesterday.

The tell-tale will now be condensation on the Kilner jar, and I shall keep an eye out for that.

I might consider putting my little radiator on an Alexa plug thingy, so I can warm up the workshop before I go in there!

It takes a good while to push heat from the air into cold cast iron. Don't expect a heater to do much. Being retired, I can just leave the workshop locked up and not go in if it's an especially warm humid morning after a cold night, but that doesn't work for most people.
Get in, get the door closed quickly behind you and get the dehumidifier on is the next best thing. Those dessicant types really are a big help.

I normally have a small heater set on very low to keep the rust of my tools, a couple of years ago I forgot to turn it on come winter, work got in the way and it was 6 months or so before I got back in there. There was rust over everything that was out in the open. What was interesting though, (apart from how many swear words I used in 60 seconds:cool:) was that all my tools in drawers and cabinets where rust free.

Now when I've finished a project, I spray a little WD40 to protect them and put them away in a drawer as double insurance.

My Hammer A3 31 planer thicknesser has the largest surface area and once I've waxed it up, i cover the beds in a couple of old towels.
This method really helps to prevent any rust from forming.
I adopt the same method on my Charnwood Router table and both machines surfaces seem to have lasted well with minimal signs of deterioration.
I use cotton bedsheets over anything with bare metal, seems to work a treat. I think it's important that any cover is breathable, once put a cover made out of a tarpaulin type material over our smoker barbecue, it rusted big time. Under a cotton sheet, spotless. The only light rust I have had is on the uncovered base of my floor standing drill. The table, covered by a sheet draped over the top of the machine, is pristine. Also keeps dust etc off. Otherwise machine wax, or old fashioned wax furniture polish, beeswax type works really well.

Latest posts

Back