Cosy Workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niall Y

Established Member
Reaction score
I put the woodstove on in the workshop yesterday, as I had some gluing up to do. A bit of a palaver, if I'm only in there for a short period of time, but for a whole day's stint, well worth the effort.
Managed to get the temperature up to a balmy 68 F .on my Factory's Act thermometer. Which , for me is positively 'Bahamas' This did wake up a wasp from it's winter sleep, and it spent the rest of the day crashing into my fluorescent tubes

In the past, with various rented workshops , heating was a problem. One, an old cowshed, of flint and clapperboard constriction was impossible to bring up to a workable temperature, especially during a cold-snap such as this, Work ,would then, invariably, have to stop until the weather changed, as the outside loo would, also, be frozen,

There has been a trade -off between the former and present workshops. With the old ,there was plenty of space , allowing me to tackle larger commissions, but with lots of winter down-time.
With the present one it can be used throughout the year and offers a pleasant working conditions, though the downside is, that I am a bit restricted for space.

I’ve had the woken wasp issue, feel guilty catching and sending outside, but the incessant buzz, bump, buzz bump is unbearable. I’ve also about finished insulating mine and being able to work there in this weather is amazing.

I'm in my workshop at moment watching Brazil Croatia
20221209_172326.jpg
20221209_172400.jpg
from 7 degrees to 22 in 2 hours with my 1930's heater

I had a few hours in my workshop today, first time in months. I now have a diesel space heater, fantastic bit of kit.... can chew through fuel though

Attachments

• 20221209_115947.jpg
    20221209_115947.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
What do you do to reduce the effect of the condensation it produces? Do you find your hand tools need more attention to keep them rustfree?
It's the fumes I'd be wary of, I find they give me a splitting headache unless the room is well ventilated. Which is precisely what you want to avoid if keeping the place warm.

Was seriously tempted to get one of those 40s style paraffin blowlamps a few months ago as much for toy value as anything else. My "sensible" head over-ruled that one for that reason among others.

Hmm, that's actually an idea for my Dad for Christmas...

I've fitted a bathroom extractor in workshop also have window ajar also have co detector in workshop, i dont run it when I'm woodworking anyway shavings and naked flame not a good combination

After insulating the loft space above my attached garage with what used to insulate my bungalow (we replaced all of it a few weeks ago) and cladding all of the walls with 18mm osb over 60mm pir it occurred to me that the easiest way to keep it warm would simply be to treat it as another room and wack a rad on the wall that has our living room on the other side..no worries about naked flames or nasty fumes.

Attachments

• EF4699D8-FC40-4DCB-B1F3-CFED10157293.jpeg
    EF4699D8-FC40-4DCB-B1F3-CFED10157293.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
I’ve had the woken wasp issue, feel guilty catching and sending outside, but the incessant buzz, bump, buzz bump is unbearable. I’ve also about finished insulating mine and being able to work there in this weather is amazing.
I keep finding the damn things in the log pile. I've been stung twice now by monumentally pee'd off wasps that've been snatched from sleep. It now takes me twice as long to fill the wheelbarrow as I carefully inspect each log 🐝

After insulating the loft space above my attached garage with what used to insulate my bungalow (we replaced all of it a few weeks ago) and cladding all of the walls with 18mm osb over 60mm pir it occurred to me that the easiest way to keep it warm would simply be to treat it as another room and wack a rad on the wall that has our living room on the other side..no worries about naked flames or nasty fumes.
I put rads off our house central heating into my detached workshop 20 years ago when I first built it, it works a treat & I never noticed any significant increase in running costs just a nice warm shop.

Single brick garage apex tiled roof 50mm Kingsland 25mm on the garage up and over door . 5Kw Diesel Air heater brilliant had 3 years and no tool rusting like you get with a space heater. Don't even have go outside to start it,has a remote. Half an hour and up to 17° run mine on heating oil.

I have an Airrex infra red heater, runs on red diesel. Scandinavian i think, heats part of my sectioned off Barn. best heater I have bought, runs clean and no fumes.

Back