rule breaking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
carpyone":yorssm7j said:
So the rules as has already been confirmed by the mods don't apply to everyone and are taken on a post by post basis .
I'd suggest that if you are so disgruntled with the way the forum is being administered that perhaps you should spend your time on other "less irritating" forums.

Just a suggestion :wink:

The mods are never going to please 100%of the members but we are all free to vote with our feet should we so wish.

:lol: Just realised what your user name means carpyone :lol:

carp - To complain or find fault in a petty or disagreeable way #-o

MikeG.":2el197mc said:
carpyone":2el197mc said:
.......The good thing is we have the answer and that is that the forum has rules but the mods can over ride them as they see fit .

No, that's not what was said, and this is a dishonest claim.

If you are so angry with the forum that you return solely to attack it, shamelessly mis-representing what is posted in the process, then I'd suggest you might be better off in your workshop than in front of your computer.

On a post by post basis IS the mods over riding the rules is it not .
from the advert -I recently brought a job lot of Abranet for my own use, amongst the sanding pads were these large rolls .((from the rules)No commercial or business adverts, there is provision for such through the Premier Posts option; deliberate use of the section to offload surplus equipment purchased in job lots)
NOW read the rules they are very clear , which is why the original question was asked , which has now been answered by the mods and they have basically said the rules don't apply to every one but are on a post by post basis.

As a matter of interest do you believe the rules where broken in the advert a simple yes or no will do .
Or should the rules be ignored for long term members seems a bit unfair .

phil.p":1sq9xomz said:
Bit slow there, Bob. :D

It happens when you retire Phil. So does having breakfast in front of the TV instead of on the hoof in the kitchen. :lol:
Wouldn't go back to work though especially when it's p****** down outside as it is at the minute.

Lons":2r40ow1y said:
:lol: Just realised what your user name means carpyone :lol:

carp - To complain or find fault in a petty or disagreeable way #-o

HaHa wrong actually a well known carp angler :lol:

carpyone":2er65lfe said:
MikeG.":2er65lfe said:
carpyone":2er65lfe said:
.......The good thing is we have the answer and that is that the forum has rules but the mods can over ride them as they see fit .

No, that's not what was said, and this is a dishonest claim.

If you are so angry with the forum that you return solely to attack it, shamelessly mis-representing what is posted in the process, then I'd suggest you might be better off in your workshop than in front of your computer.

from the advert -I recently brought a job lot of Abranet for my own use, amongst the sanding pads were these large rolls .((from the rules)No commercial or business adverts, there is provision for such through the Premier Posts option; deliberate use of the section to offload surplus equipment purchased in job lots)
NOW read the rules they are very clear , which is why the original question was asked , which has now been answered by the mods and they have basically said the rules don't apply to every one but are on a post by post basis.

As a matter of interest do you believe the rules where broken in the advert a simple yes or no will do .

Why have you quoted my post? Your response (or, more accurately, re-hash of your whingeing), makes no reference to anything I said.

Or should the rules be ignored for long term members seems a bit unfair .[/quote]

Why have you quoted my post? Your response (or, more accurately, re-hash of your whingeing, makes no reference to anything I said.[/quote]

So Mike your happy to try and have a go but not happy to answer my question ?

I recently brought a job lot of Abranet for my own use, amongst the sanding pads were these large rolls .

"For my own use" is the key here and all he's doing is passing on surplus at a decent price to members so NO I don't think he's breaking the rules. The rule he broke, unknowingly, was listing on Ebay and he responded to that so commonsense should be used.

I bought a job lot of planes so have a number in various condition in a drawer, meant for my own use so would I be breaking the rules selling on the surplus - I think not!
Have a load of other stuff, duplicates and surplus but never bought with the intention of selling on for profit so the same applies in my mind.

The approach the mods are taking seems reasonable to me.

If selling excess stock is habitual and happening from a poster frequently and appears to be part of their business plan, then the post should be removed.

If the post is a one off or presents an opportunity to members to buy something they could normally get, then it should be allowed.

There is a poster on this site that offers exceptional quality wood offcuts to members that they would in all likelihood not be able to get under normal circumstances. To me, that is the epitome of the community spirit that makes this site a real gem.

It’s called pragmatism.

Lons":12bc7aff said:
I recently brought a job lot of Abranet for my own use, amongst the sanding pads were these large rolls .

"For my own use" is the key here and all he's doing is passing on surplus at a decent price to members so NO I don't think he's breaking the rules. The rule he broke, unknowingly, was listing on Ebay and he responded to that so commonsense should be used.

I bought a job lot of planes so have a number in various condition in a drawer, meant for my own use so would I be breaking the rules selling on the surplus - I think not!
Have a load of other stuff, duplicates and surplus but never bought with the intention of selling on for profit so the same applies in my mind.

See that is where we are reading the rules differently . The way I see it is the guy has seen a joblot for sale and realised there are some items he wants but wants to sell the rest to get his items cheaper /free . I believe the sellers intent was to buy a joblot with the sole reason of selling on .I see this as blatant rule breaking .
Yours is different as you have had the planes and intended to use them but just never have your original intent was different .
Two very different intentions IMO.

thick_mike":rs7t8njc said:
The approach the mods are taking seems reasonable to me.

If selling excess stock is habitual and happening from a poster frequently and appears to be part of their business plan, then the post should be removed.

If the post is a one off or presents an opportunity to members to buy something they could normally get, then it should be allowed.

There is a poster on this site that offers exceptional quality wood offcuts to members that they would in all likelihood not be able to get under normal circumstances. To me, that is the epitome of the community spirit that makes this site a real gem.

It’s called pragmatism.
One could argue off cuts are a by product so not really the same as buying a joblot knowing you are going to sell them on as seems to be the case with the Abranet IMO.
Just different ways of reading the rules .
Remember if we all started buying joblots and selling on here the sponsors may walk ?

carpyone":1bu1x6bs said:
Lons":1bu1x6bs said:

See that is where we are reading the rules differently . The way I see it is the guy has seen a joblot for sale and realised there are some items he wants but wants to sell the rest to get his items cheaper /free . I believe the sellers intent was to buy a joblot with the sole reason of selling on .I see this as blatant rule breaking .
Yours is different as you have had the planes and intended to use them but just never have your original intent was different .
Two very different intentions IMO.

Great, so now you expect the moderators to do mind-reading. For X posts you have whinged about moderation not being absolutely to-the-letter-of-the-rules-as-you-interpret-them.......now you want moderators to read the mind of the posters, despite there being nothing in the rules suggesting that mind-reading plays a part in the process. Make up your mind.

carpyone":36k5redx said:

Why have you quoted my post? Your response (or, more accurately, re-hash of your whingeing, makes no reference to anything I said.

So Mike your happy to try and have a go but not happy to answer my question ?

Sort out the quote tags.

I've no interest in your question, which has been dealt with repeatedly by others and by the mods to my satisfaction. I am much more interested in why a disgruntled ex-member should return under another name to whinge. I am also interested in the intellectual contortions you are having to perform to persuade yourself that you have a case (you haven't even begun to persuade anyone here).

HAHA @ MikeG not sure why you don't want to answer a simple question a couple of other posters have whether we agree with each other doesn't matter its only an opinion and mine is simply that in my opinion the rules have been broken the mods have responded saying they take it on a post by post basis which doesn't seem fair to me BUT that is only my opinion .The mods have the last word but it doesn't look good if different rules apply to some .

No mind reading needed if you buy a joblot of items you generally know what is there and what items you want to keep and sell .

carpyone":3tvykkwa said:
...a simple yes or no will do.
Are you a lawyer by trade?

A mistake was made and subsequently corrected; all without the banhammer falling. Were I to interpret the law 100%, as appears to be your desire, all my children would have a rap sheet a mile long and they'd only get out into the yard once a day. Thank heavens for some common sense and people's ability to apologise and put right when they've done something they probably shouldn't have.

Dear forum,
I have an axe to grind, but am unsure of the best sharpening method. Please advise... :lol:

carpyone":1hlp2i9o said:
The way I see it is the guy has seen a joblot for sale and realised there are some items he wants but wants to sell the rest to get his items cheaper /free . I believe the sellers intent was to buy a joblot with the sole reason of selling on .
In your own words he's already said he wants some items, so selling on is clearly not the sole reason...

If you simply don't like it, use the Report function and let the Mods take care of it, like you're supposed to. I'm pretty sure your public sockpuppet whining could be interpreted as breaking several forum rules too... (hammer)

Gents. We all love a good argument but this is plain silly.
Beauty is as beauty does or some such.
What's going on is obvious to anyone who's been here for a few months.
Carpyone's behaviour in my eyes is total Troll.
DON'T FEED THE TROLLS
Ignore them completely enough and they'll go away.

Tasky":1ssa9zpj said:
Dear forum,
I have an axe to grind, but am unsure of the best sharpening method. Please advise... :lol:

carpyone":1ssa9zpj said:
The way I see it is the guy has seen a joblot for sale and realised there are some items he wants but wants to sell the rest to get his items cheaper /free . I believe the sellers intent was to buy a joblot with the sole reason of selling on .
In your own words he's already said he wants some items, so selling on is clearly not the sole reason...

If you simply don't like it, use the Report function and let the Mods take care of it, like you're supposed to. I'm pretty sure your public sockpuppet whining could be interpreted as breaking several forum rules too... (hammer)

So are you saying we can buy a box say 12 item take one or two out then sell the rest on , only my opinion but this is breaking the rules .

My take on this is clearly different to others on here .

carpyone":ero5d59h said:
.......No mind reading needed....... .

No, no, of course not. :roll:

carpyone":ero5d59h said:
........ The way I see it........ I believe the sellers intent.......... intended to use them..........your original intent was different .....Two very different intentions IMO.

My mind reading is that you are trolling the forum to get revenge for stomping off in a huff under another name when one of your advertisements was removed by moderation. How am I doing?

Back