Rubbish Joinery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D_W":28qz8edd said:
doctor Bob":28qz8edd said:
I believe you get Downton Abbey in America, we English gents all live like that.
When we talk about making stuff, of course we don't make it, one instructs the Butler to tell the footman to tell the peasants to make it.

I haven't seen downton abbey, but I quite like Doc Martin.

In the states, we figure that you're either royalty or soccer hooligans, with nothing in between.

And lots of boiled meat and pork pies.
Right about the pork pies.

I remember Clunes from Men Behaving Badly and the thought of Gary as an MD was quite funny.

johnnyb":8zur4srt said:
Across the Pontchartrain bridge is the town of Mandeville a more middle class area you'd struggle to find. Nice restaurants beer halls joggers "historical" houses. Not many black people.some though.
My late father was slightly baffled by American racism as our small town was billeted by Americans during and after. Black and White were divided using pubs. Of course the locals were all white( even the colliers) but if a white gi decided to have a pint in the crown and cushion he was promptly arrested!
Baffling.( Even the mps were segregated)
Jb

I have to chuckle about this post reading it again, as anywhere around Pontchartrain is pretty far afield for someone from the UK!

How'd you like the heat there?

The best thing about New Orleans is the Newcastle brown! It's quite popular and I reckon it's a fair bit more potent than the home grown.

D_W":1m5b8n6q said:
doctor Bob":1m5b8n6q said:
I believe you get Downton Abbey in America, we English gents all live like that.
When we talk about making stuff, of course we don't make it, one instructs the Butler to tell the footman to tell the peasants to make it.

In the states, we figure that you're either royalty or soccer hooligans, with nothing in between.

DW

I think I must be nothing in between then! :lol:
I just bought the first seven series of Doc Martin. I lost track of that series when my wife became ill. So, as I admire Martin Clunes's work, and like him, I also love dogs, I treated myself!

I make my own pork pies, But I have yet to master hand-raising them. The only meat I boil is a irate person slipper (Midlands slang!) Great with cheese and pickle!

John

Benchwayze":f5ye5lar said:
[....
I make my own pork pies, But I have yet to master hand-raising them. ...
Would that involve bottle feeding?

Benchwayze":1giylp1k said:
I make my own pork pies, But I have yet to master hand-raising them. The only meat I boil is a irate person slipper (Midlands slang!) Great with cheese and pickle!

John
We buy irate person slippers a few hundred miles from you. My friend was a pub landlord and a brilliant baker (he used to bake 280 pasties at a time) - he used to make huge hot water pastry pork pies, but had it sent back regularly with the complaint that there must be something wrong with it as it wasn't pink. :D

phil.p":8keif2al said:
I quite like Doc Martin, but I find the accents weird. :D
That's "Mummerset", beloved of poor actors everywhere.

You'll just have to use the subtitles, like the rest of us.

The Archers is by far the worst though: two brothers, born, brought up and living in the same village have quite different regional accents - one slightly West of England/Gloucestershire, the other Norfolk!

For our tranastlantic cousins: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Archers

Yes, Mummerset is a perceived West Country accent - one problem there is the number of different West Country accents, the other is that the West Country is thought to begin somewhere like Swindon. :lol: When I was a very child my mother told me it quite easy to tell the different accents of elderly people from Falmouth and Penryn ...... three miles apart. I have in the past spoken to people from about twenty miles down the road (nearly off the end :D ) whom I have had great difficulty understanding despite having spent my life here. My own accent varies according to whom I am speaking (and probably the amount of alcohol consumed). I have been know to lapse into the vernacular. :D

Jacob":2zwf77uw said:
Benchwayze":2zwf77uw said:
[....
I make my own pork pies, But I have yet to master hand-raising them. ...
Would that involve bottle feeding?

Hi Jacob;

Such a comeback was anticipated, and I almost decided not to use the expression. :mrgreen: But yes; forming the crust does involve gentle treatment and a certain amount of coddling and petting!

Not really work for most woodworkers' hands!

Cheers

phil.p":1x856rwn said:
Benchwayze":1x856rwn said:

John
We buy irate person slippers a few hundred miles from you. My friend was a pub landlord and a brilliant baker (he used to bake 280 pasties at a time) - he used to make huge hot water pastry pork pies, but had it sent back regularly with the complaint that there must be something wrong with it as it wasn't pink. :D

Few treats more tasty than a fresh, hot pork pie, soft and still dripping! Such as I have whenever I go to Skipton! I always want another one immediately, but I don't like to be thought of as a glutton!!!
Actually Phil, the last irate person slipper I did; I steamed as opposed to boiled. I ate it with mash, peas, and parsley sauce. Delish!

John

A close friend of mine just won't eat any kind of pie. He calls them 'sealed secrets'; i.e we never know what horrors we might find inside.
In fact I did once find a staple inside a well-known make of half-time steak pie! :shock:

Benchwayze":17518qw8 said:
A close friend of mine just won't eat any kind of pie. He calls them 'sealed secrets'; i.e we never know what horrors we might find inside.
In fact I did once find a staple inside a well-known make of half-time steak pie! :shock:
UK's staple diet?

Benchwayze":2vo6mj0s said:
D_W":2vo6mj0s said:
doctor Bob":2vo6mj0s said:

DW

I think I must be nothing in between then! :lol:
I just bought the first seven series of Doc Martin. I lost track of that series when my wife became ill. So, as I admire Martin Clunes's work, and like him, I also love dogs, I treated myself!

John

Pork pies are one of those things that you mention in the US and everyone thinks they must be a name for something else (as in, surely, there can't be a "snack pie" that has meat in it).

We have Cow Tails here, but they are just candy (caramel and sugar). There's probably others.

Savory foods are in the minority in the US given our affection for extreme amounts of sugar. A scottish friend who comes here from time to time is surprised by three things:
* our local scottish bar has more scotch varieties at any given time than he's able to get anywhere that he's been in Scotland or London (he loves that the ladies at that bar flock to him - a "real" one in a scottish bar them. "talk like shrek...talk like shrek!!"...well, he doesn't love that last request).
* he's never seen a gun anywhere but TV when he's been here (I think he thought it would look like a western movie or something from hollywood - "let's settle this with a duel")
* and his common line "god ____...isn't there any savory food on any of the menus here?" (nope...sugar, or sugar plus, or sugar plus plus with chocolate syrup on top....unless you just want meat with eggs, bacon and cheese on the top).

As to doc martin, I love the one line he had when his relationship was on the rocks in one of the mid seasons ..."why does everyone need to be happy?"

Picture of a classy looking pork pie for D_W in case he hasn't seen one. That's probably onion pickle to the left. Looks very tasty I might just have to pop out and purchase one now.

Attachments

• ppie.jpg
    ppie.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 81
Back