Rubbing Shoulders...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mailman14

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmm seems to me like I was initiated into a secret world when first I came onto this forum.
"Why?" You ask. Well, let me tell you something...

I have been catching up on some of the oldest threads in this section (so I don't repeat jokes, ask silly questions, and basically 'cos I'm a nosey pipper with not a lot to do whilst I'm off work... :lol: )

First post from Philly - newbie to the forum, now he's a moderator AND famous in his own right as a plane maker...

Charley and his snake... (Is that why you moved?), maybe not 'famous' but a hard worker getting us all to play fair.

Andy? Technical Editor for Woodworking magazine, forget the name... :roll: (Replied to a post about my chisels - thanks!)

Steve Maskery - British Woodworking, issue 12, last item - zero-clearance throat plates...(I nearly asked what a "Goldilocks" fit was :oops: )

Need I say more, probably not, but I'm not known for quitting while I'm ahead. Anyone else out there that you readers know of? BTW - these are the ones I know about, if I haven't mentioned you, it's not 'cos you're not famous, it's just that i haven't put 2x2 and 2x2 together yet... :oops:

Go to Rogues gallery -scroll right to the end and you will see the "stars"
Including St David of Charlesworth

The is also a quite decent (but don't tell him I said so 8-[ ) ex professional cricketer who hangs around here sometimes.

If you spot old posts from Alf follow the WWW for some interesting stuff.

The rest of us are wasters & layabouts

It is pretty cool to be able to say, "I knew him when." That Steve isn't only internationally famous for his "goldilocks fit" but for his appearances in front of the camera. ;)

I'm involved with British Woodworking, even though I've been little quiet the past few months... :oops: I expect that to change in the coming months though! :D

Nick Gibbs, the editor, is also a member here. As is Ralph Laughton, editor of The Woodworker. Jeff Gorman (Good Woodworking), Keith Smith (TWW - don't see him about much these days?)... I could go on! Andy's last name is King, by the way. :)

You could write a book. Including the Mr Grimsdale incident, births, deaths, marriages, D.I.V.O.R.C.E, scandal, The many faces of Brad Alchy Tovey....

I have been featured in the press if that counts.
LancashireTelegraph151208.jpg

I've also been seen on the stage too.

Mike Garnham":333z98yh said:
wizer":333z98yh said:
the Grimsdale incident

The what? Sounds like a close encounter of the third kind........do spill the beans, please!

Mike

nooooo - please lets not go there yet again.

mailman on the topic of the reasonably great and good, it may be worth noting that he ^ ^ is The Mike Garnham, the cricketer...... and famous turner , but he likes to keep the second bit quiet in case his freinds find out :lol: 8)

It has all the makings of a best seller. Blood and Gore, Addiction, Fetishists.....

Mike Garnham":3oir0yvv said:
wizer":3oir0yvv said:
the Grimsdale incident

The what? Sounds like a close encounter of the third kind........do spill the beans, please!

Mike

Lets put it like this.....................don't mention measuring sticks

Rods Jim. RODS!

Mike I'm sure you've heard of Alf. Sadly the Grimsdale incident culminated in her departure (amongst other things).

Night Train":316tot8t said:
I've also been seen on the stage too.

Me too!

1958 - Humpty Dumpty, Waltham village hall.

To rave reviews - "Toy soldier (third from the left) played his part with magnificent feeling"

big soft moose":svygaw4q said:
it may be worth noting that he ^ ^ is The Mike Garnham, the cricketer...... and famous turner , but he likes to keep the second bit quiet in case his freinds find out :lol: 8)

:D :D :D

A/ I don't turn

B/ If I did, I wouldn't have any friends!!

Nice try, BSM!!

Mike

A, Sorry, Mike G - don't follow cricket - hence you fall into the "not mentioned" section of my list...

B, I have seen "Alf" listed in postings - with "left the building" as her place / base. (I had wonderred if she's passed away to be honest).

C, "Grimsdale incident" - not the MR Grimsdale by any chance? I've caught up with threads by / about Billzee, and so forth - assuming it was a clash of personalities? Leave it at that if it causes upset to longer serving members (nearly said older... :roll: )

Mailman14":3ljzv132 said:
I have seen "Alf" listed in postings - with "left the building" as her place / base. (I had wonderred if she's passed away to be honest).

"Grimsdale incident"

Alf used to be a very frequent poster here a couple of years ago but a now seemingly insignificant (tho' it wasn't at the time) squabble made here quit this forum...and more's the pity :cry:
The mention of 'Grimsdale' is likely to raise long subdued hackles in these parts by the way.... - Rob

Back