Rubber feet for bench grinder needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mel769

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, Im currently restoring an old Ingersoll Rand bench grinder and am looking for some push in rubber feet. The old feet are perished, but were push fit into a 1/2 inch hole, I need 4 of them. They look similar to the pic below so you can push them in and they wont fall out if that makes any sense !
rubber feet.jpg
Does anyone know where I can find these feet in the Uk ? I done an extensive google search but cannot find anything that goes into a 1/2 inch (12mm) hole. Please help if you can ! Many thanks

Try:

Sinclair-rush UK Ltd; (a huge range, both plastics and rubber of various sorts)

or

Banbury Plastic Fittings (ditto above)

or

Amazon (search for "rubber feet").

HTH

Thanks thats great, I did actually look at both them sites but couldn't find listing on the Sinclair site, which has 2 images showing different styles so I will give em a call tomorrow and hope they are keen to help. The Vital Parts foot is a bit too small in its footprint (if that makes sense) so isnt ideal. Thanks again anyhow !

B&Q do a range of rubber feet, I glue them on with impact glue.
Machine mart do spares for their Clarks bench grinder if you want the push fit ones.

When a 3d printer comes to the rescue. Looks like the pads are now sorted after chatting to Mel769 The TPU printed ones are on the way to him 👍

Attachments

• 20230119_133230.jpg
    20230119_133230.jpg
    640.2 KB · Views: 0
  • timelapse_GRINDER FEET v3.gcode_20230119_1242@False@1@25@[email protected]
    3.4 MB
Yep thanks Pops92, great stuff all round and a sterling service (y)

Attachments

• 20230121_184509.jpg
    20230121_184509.jpg
    765.7 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail_20230121_184408.jpg
    thumbnail_20230121_184408.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 0
Another point of view.
I have always pulled the rubber feet off my grinders when I bolted them down to a stand or to a block of wood to hold it in the bench vice. I could see having them if the grinder was to sit on the bench without being bolted to it but they can sometimes vibrate around more than I like that way.

Pete

as per Pete above, I'd assume a grinder is better off bolted to a solid bench, I wonder if you could put a skateboard bushings between the grinder and the bench to dampen vibrations

As I've remarked before here - in another context - vibration is "funny stuff"!

My Excalibur scroll saw is noted for being a virtually vibration-free as a machine. But in my case it's bolted firmly to a small "ply-topped wheelie table" which is in turn resting on 4 of those "hard rubber ball" castors.

I THINK that's the reason why I do get SOME vibration at the machine. Purely as a stop-gap when first bought I tried mounting the machine to the table on on a variety of different bolt-through "rubber feet" that I had in stock. In each case it made the vibration at the machine notably WORSE.

Purely guess-work, but "one of these fine wet days" I'm going to change the rubber ball castors on the wheelie table itself. I THINK (hope!) that will improve matters. But as the present vibration at the machine is, for me "acceptable" I have not got around to it yet ("It's only 5+ years you know)!

As said, pure guesswork but I think there's some harmonic frequency/ies between the table's castors and the wood/machine table top interface which sets up that vibration.

I do NOT KNOW this, but would simply point out that least sometimes, what seems to be an "obvious" fix can just make matters worse.

Maybe that helps someone?

The grinder has hardly any vibration, and I suspect its a rebadged Baldor, I will post some pics when its completed, now just waiting on a shim washer. I resprayed using Paragon enamel paint which I can highly recommend !

A mate has one bolted to a plate which is then bolted to the bench using rubber exhaust mountings, the type with a flat disc with a threaded rod glued to either end of a rubber. Bit OTT I thought but certainly kills any vibration. He can put tools down next to It and they don't shimmy off across the bench :)

Latest posts

Back