Choosing a Bench Grinder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought an 8" slow grinder from Hope Wood turning recently. Chose the option with a 240 grit CBN wheel. I'm very pleased with it so far, and excellent service from Hope.

You will be VERY vulnerable to burning steel on a high speed bench grinder with a 240 grit CBN wheel. I use80- and 180 grit on a half-speed machine. I can do most all with 180 grit. For a full speed machine, 80 grit would be better.

Regards from Perth

Derek

You will be VERY vulnerable to burning steel on a high speed bench grinder with a 240 grit CBN wheel. I use80- and 180 grit on a half-speed machine. I can do most all with 180 grit.
Yes. That's why I took the time to find a slow grinder that is particularly suited to this role. I have had no problem with burning the steel.

I'd opt for a variable speed grinder....which typically runs 1750 to 3450 RPM

Callme nuts, but I use several different deburring wheels, some of whom will tell me they don't like 3450 rpm,

And I know it's not common in the woodworking fiarena, but I also use loretone expandable rubber wheels from the lapidary side of things, and they DEFINITELY do not ike 3550 (the belts simply explode!
1692067365286.jpeg

Back