Choosing a Bench Grinder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark18PLL

Established Member
Reaction score
Good morning, I am looking to purchase a bench grinder and need a little guidance choosing one.

I have been looking at the Record Power and would mainly be using it for starting my chisel sharpening before hand sharpening, I also bought a Multico morticer and purchased some mortice bits direct from them but need to grind an edge on the bit so the grub screen can tighten to it and stop it spinning. I was also thinking for getting one of the CBN wheels as it would need less maintenance and would be a bit more forgiving ie wont heat the blade.

Also would a need and special too rest for sharpening chisels?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

A 6" wheel isn't ideal for grinding chisels, it leaves a very hollow ground edge. A very slight hollow is fine and maybe the grind of choice, but a 6" wheel is a bit much. An 8" would be better, but if you're looking at CBN wheels for them you'll need deep pockets.
If you have a lathe an abrasive on a flat disc/faceplate would be better for chisels.

A 6" wheel isn't ideal for grinding chisels, it leaves a very hollow ground edge. A very slight hollow is fine and maybe the grind of choice, but a 6" wheel is a bit much. An 8" would be better, but if you're looking at CBN wheels for them you'll need deep pockets.
If you have a lathe an abrasive on a flat disc/faceplate would be better for chisels.
Thanks Phil, I dont have a lathe. I suppose like many I dont particularly like sharpening chisels, so I thought is I had one 120g CBN it would get a decent edge and then finish of on my flat plate.

Assuming they're not damaged you can "grind" them on coarse diamond plates or oilstones - done frequently you won't lose the angle and it won't take long. Not my idea of fun but it works. If they're badly misshapen could you get someone to grind them for you then follow that path? It can be done on a 6" grinder but I think you'll be disappointed if you buy one expressly for that purpose.

Assuming they're not damaged you can "grind" them on coarse diamond plates or oilstones - done frequently you won't lose the angle and it won't take long. Not my idea of fun but it works. If they're badly misshapen could you get someone to grind them for you then follow that path? It can be done on a 6" grinder but I think you'll be disappointed if you buy one expressly for that purpose.
Can I ask how you would recommend grinding a flat edge on the bit for the morticer? You might be able to see it in the picture.

I was sort of thinking a grinder might just be a good little addition to the workshop for some tasks.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1467.JPG
    IMG_1467.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1468.JPG
    IMG_1468.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Can I ask how you would recommend grinding a flat edge on the bit for the morticer? You might be able to see it in the picture.

I was sort of thinking a grinder might just be a good little addition to the workshop for some tasks.

Thanks
I would use a file, or diamond file to reproduce this detail depending on the hardness of this part of the shaft. Or even an angle grinder.

I'd file it.
A grinder is a useful tool, though - keep an eye on Gumtree and F.B. Marketplace, they come up regularly. I picked up a W. German Hanning 8" with good wheels for £20. There was another 8" one for £15 last week.

I wouldn't assume every grinder can take a CBN Wheel.
Suitable bussing needed, the better CBN wheels are very heavy, not all grinders have enough power to over come the torque the bigger mass requires. Finally shaft length can be an issue, especially for the wider CBN wheels,
I've recently changed to this one, and really pleased with its performance.

https://www.axminstertools.com/axmi...oF8qVpVH6Ssx6FuFKQzV_25vXinHBUx0aAh8oEALw_wcB

Good morning, I am looking to purchase a bench grinder and need a little guidance choosing one.

I have been looking at the Record Power and would mainly be using it for starting my chisel sharpening before hand sharpening, I also bought a Multico morticer and purchased some mortice bits direct from them but need to grind an edge on the bit so the grub screen can tighten to it and stop it spinning. I was also thinking for getting one of the CBN wheels as it would need less maintenance and would be a bit more forgiving ie wont heat the blade.

Also would a need and special too rest for sharpening chisels?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark

The ideal bench grinder is a 8" half-speed. However, a 8" full speed will work with a gentle hand.

CBN wheels are a wise investment. If getting one, 180 grit is ideal for bench planes and bench chisels.

The first of the 3 bench grinders is your best bet as this is 8" and has about 1 1/4 h.p. That will drive the CBN wheels very nicely.

Here is a link to my set up, for ideas. I was one of the first to use this method for flat woodworking: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTechniques/UltimateGrindingSharpeningSetUp.html

UltimateGrindingSharpeningSetUp_html_5c5d41f4.jpg

In answer to your question how you sharpen hollow mortice chisels, you use a diamond cone, or two of them (coarse and fine). This is a few-seconds method. Fool proof.

1691809680542.png

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2014/06/02/how-to-sharpen-hollow-chisel-mortising-bits

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Mark

The ideal bench grinder is a 8" half-speed. However, a 8" full speed will work with a gentle hand.

CBN wheels are a wise investment. If getting one, 180 grit is ideal for bench planes and bench chisels.

The first of the 3 bench grinders is your best bet as this is 8" and has about 1 1/4 h.p. That will drive the CBN wheels very nicely.

Here is a link to my set up, for ideas. I was one of the first to use this method for flat woodworking: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTechniques/UltimateGrindingSharpeningSetUp.html

UltimateGrindingSharpeningSetUp_html_5c5d41f4.jpg

In answer to your question how you sharpen hollow mortice chisels, you use a diamond cone, or two of them (coarse and fine). This is a few-seconds method. Fool proof.

View attachment 164356

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2014/06/02/how-to-sharpen-hollow-chisel-mortising-bits

Regards from Perth

Derek
Hi Just like to say I have a Sealey 6" and it does everything I need and has done for 14+yrs now cost my wife under a £100.

An 8 inch cbn wheel has a lot of weight if you buy steel (you can get them made with aluminium or even plastic bodies).
I have a single 40mm wide one on a Record rsbg8 grinder. It spins it fine but takes a few moments to speed up, that's with a 550W motor. It's a generic Chinese grinder made for Record and many other resellers but decent and cheaper than the less powerful Axminster one.
I wouldn't pay a premium for Warco - they market Chinese made machines too and my experience of their quality control is poor - but heavier / more powerful grinders tend to be nicer to use if you have space and won't be moving it.

Back