Routing with a dremmel?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodAddict

Established Member
Reaction score
I've seen it mentioned a couple of times but I couldn't find a description as to how it's done. Do you need special bits and is there a jig available. I'm thinking purely for small channels in thin wood.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

You can buy a Dremel model router table.....

FleaBay auction CLICK

IMHO this is a bit basic and can easily be fabricated out of some plastic sheet or wood with far better results. Insert this into a small table and you are done.

The key is to get a recessed hole that will fit the Dremel body clamp...and at the same time lower and raise it to the required depth.

Alternatively you can do it freehand with the plunge attachment....

Dremel Plunge Router Attachment CLICK

Also FleaBay has hundreds of router bits...just search DREMEL ROUTER.

Cheers

Jim

I have the Axminster version of the Dremel and also the stand which inverts and holds it vertically like a router. I got my hands on some spiral cutters and was then able to use it to rout out the inlays on the fingerboard of a guitar, also used one of the purfling type adaptors to rout out the binding channel. Works a treat

If you're looking to save a few quid, rather than using Dremel's proprietary router base, you can easily make your own out of scraps and some boltsand wing nuts.

IMO, dremel stuff is aggresively overpriced, and often of quite mediocre quality.

34_dremel_base.jpg

I guess one of the issues that surfaces at this sort of stage is whether to set up just to get the job done, or whether to go a step further and sort out a longer term capability.

It's not that cheap (but not so bad either), and i don't know anything about the quality, but the Proxxon line of stuff looks pretty nifty...

Back