routing larger pieces of wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KentAndy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a very entry level router table (it was a present and to be honest looks like a fisher price cooker).

To be fair, it does a good job on smaller pieces and I've made some nice, small cabinet doors using it.

However, whenever I try to route a longer piece, even when using feather boards I get a very inconsistent cut. This maybe because the table is small meaning the wood bounces a bit. It Could also be my technique and I maybe causing issues when I have to let go and reposition my arms.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this or get any solutions? I need some large shaker doors nd would love to make them myself

Have you considered making your own router table? It's pretty straightforward and will likely be considerably more stable and useful than the one your using at the moment by the sounds of it.
When I made mine I just watched lots of Youtube videos on home made router tables and picked out the best bits and most practical solutions and incorporated them into my own table. Although I still consider myself relatively novice at woodworking the router table build went very well and it's been a few years on now and it still works a treat. It's also very stable. I'm limited on space so it's just basically mounted on to a Black & Decker workmate which means it takes up minimal space and takes seconds to set up and take down. The cost was next to nothing as well. Just mainly built from 18mm MDF.

Latest posts

Back