router with dovetail jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayiberry

Reaction score
Hi, I am getting on a bit now and I have a problem. I have a very old leigh dovetail jig and my ancient router has given up on me so I can get one for my 72nd birthday. Problem is which router? It can be a quarter inch type with a quarter and 8mm collet It must not be so heavy and most of all I need to get fine accurate depths of cut and be able to change bits simply. I wonder if any of you have any suggestions for me.
Please help.

Ray Berry

I have 3 dedicated routers for my 3 different dovetail jigs. Nothing special but they're permanently setup so no downtime setting depth every time.

I would look for a router with a on/off switch that stays in place rather than having to keep the button depressed.

Not sure if this will help you.

Ray

Hitachi M8v is a nice 1/4” router cheap second hand, I have two one with a round over and a chamfer bit in the other.

Pete

Bosch POF 600A secondhand, but treat it to a new collet.

The motors are Swiss made and excellent quality. The 500A is almost identical but cheaper as it isn't varispeed. I have both (one from new) and can confirm that the plunge is rubbish (the base casting is too flimsy, and I think the plunge rods move slightly) but they are lightweight and easy to handle, and the plunge is irrelevant for a dovetail jig. They take 8mm collets too (I have one). Spares from Miles Tools and Machinery Centre (MTMC) in Yeovil.

The motor units fit to the plunge base with a collet/clamp areangement. There is a 40mm collar (from memory) on the motor, making it very easy to fit to a jig, for example as a horizontal router, or on a pantograph for pattern following.

I also have a Trend auxiliary, "universal" base for mine, which takes a range of bushes (Axminster do an inexpensive set of different sizes), This is occasionally very handy, especially as you can centre the bushes very accurately on the shaft (this works for other routers too). You don't say if your jig uses a guide bush or a bearing (I don't have Leigh, but I think they made both types), but it would probably be slightly easier with a bearing-guided cutter - I am always a bit nervous that the bushes might move slightly, as the Trend plate is cheaply moulded (not a router problem though!).

Otherwise wot Pete said above!

E.

PS: I am quite a bit younger than you, but I have arthritis in my hands. I find the handles comfortable, which isn't true forc every power tool I have!

Back