Router trouble (DeWalt 625 / Trend T11 / CMT 1850)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

After some pointer please. I've got a cmt1850 router (pretty much identical to the Dewalt 625).

It is quite a few years old but has done almost no work as has been in storage for a while.

I used it today and worked fine for first 10 mins, then the cutter slowed to 'idle' speed and made a sort of hunting / rattle sound. Like motor was getting mixed signals rather than direct mechanical distress. With power off everything spins freely and no play etc.

I've tried the range of speed settings in case there was a sticky bit on the pot with no effect.
I've also taken black cover off top and confirmed the magnet is still securing in place on the end of the shaft.

Anyone out there had a similar issue / ideas where to start?

Thanks

Simon

In October 2013 exactly the same thing happened to my little used but out of warranty CMT1E router (a DeWalt 625 clone). The magnet was secure and the brushes were fine, and so I suspected one or more faulty components in the speed control circuitry was probably the cause of the malfunction. Unfortunately these components are all encased in resin in the black plastic moulding and they cannot be inspected or removed.

I therefore reluctantly bought a DeWalt-badged replacement part from Miles Tools for a total cost of £86.66. Fitting this restored the router to proper working order, but I’ve only used it sparingly since, fearing a repeat performance.

Jack

CMT1E Router fault .jpg

CMT1E speed control circuitry.jpg

Attachments

• CMT1E Router fault .jpg
    CMT1E Router fault .jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 333
  • CMT1E speed control circuitry.jpg
    CMT1E speed control circuitry.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 333
Thanks Jack.

I feared this may be where this is going - I'll see,if anyone has any bright ideas but may end up with this route. £90 seems steep for a simple replacement circuit but I guess you've been through that loop.

Simon

Update. The fault is with the same component as jack (speed controller).

I am told, as I only use this router at full speed, is it possible to bypass the faulty unit. Anyone done this ?

Simon

Yes, I have a Dewalt 625 EK that was suffering the same symptoms a couple of years ago.
I had worked mine pretty hard for a number of years before it started playing up. As i mainly used the Router for doing kitchen worktop joints/boltholes, it was used at full speed 99% of the time anyway, so it now runs at full speed all the time.

This was done in 2009 and the router still gets used when I do laminate worktops today. It must be 18 years old now...!!

All the parts for the clones will come from the same source irrespective of brand.. Shop around for the cheapest price online. That said, I have had excellent service from Miles Tools in the past.

Also double check the magnet ring is secure on the motor shaft (the one on my T11 came loose and moved out of alignment). Normally they run flat out though when that happens, but it is an easy fix if it has happened to yours.

I would replace the controller for many reasons, not least that it devalues the router both for you and selling it on. And for big cutters you need slow speeds, not fast ones.

Obviously, take lots of pictures during dismantling, to see where the connections go. And if you don't want to DIY, try Infix on the Stapleton Rd. in Bristol. They're good.

Potting is so frustrating. I understand why it has to be done (vibration), but otherwise component level repair would be pretty easy. There are electrolytic capacitors on that board, and unused, they probably failed, and leaked or burst. Or it might even just be a dry joint - you can't tell.

Distinterior":3i8cgmej said:
Yes, I have a Dewalt 625 EK that was suffering the same symptoms a couple of years ago.
I had worked mine pretty hard for a number of years before it started playing up. As i mainly used the Router for doing kitchen worktop joints/boltholes, it was used at full speed 99% of the time anyway, so it now runs at full speed all the time.

This was done in 2009 and the router still gets used when I do laminate worktops today. It must be 18 years old now...!!

So did you manage to bypass the speed controller or did the controller 'fail high'?

S

SVB":fuaje0kf said:
Distinterior":fuaje0kf said:

So did you manage to bypass the speed controller or did the controller 'fail high'?

S

I didnt bypass the controller, so I assume it has just failed but it does run at full speed as best as I can tell.

I bought a new 625EK to replace the older one and with the speed set at setting 5, they appear to run at the same speed.

Distinterior":2tsjvj58 said:
SVB":2tsjvj58 said:
Distinterior":2tsjvj58 said:

S

I didnt bypass the controller, so I assume it has just failed but it does run at full speed as best as I can tell.

I bought a new 625EK to replace the older one and with the speed set at setting 5, they appear to run at the same speed.

Oh, ok. Mine has 'failed low' so I can't just use it. I'm told it can be bypassed but info from someone who had done it is what I'm after.

Thanks anyway,

Simon

Sorry to bring this back after so long, but I have just suffered the same with my CMT1E.

I am looking up the replacement part on Miles Tools but not sure what the exact comparison DeWalt model is. There is a DW625E type 4, 5, 6 and 7. There about a £50 difference in the price of the part between models too. Can anyone shed any light? Many thanks

The sales receipt from Miles tools on 21 October 2013 shows that the part I obtained was for a Dewalt DW625E Type 4.

I haven't used the CMT1E much since then, but only because I have another router.

Jack

Miles Tools 21 October 2013.png

Attachments

• Miles Tools 21 October 2013.png
    Miles Tools 21 October 2013.png
    113.9 KB · Views: 135
Hi, I know this is an old thread, but my CMT1E has just stopped! Firstly it slowed down, and then refused to start. So do you think I have the same problem? I am not really an electronic tech guy, so not that comfortable with going inside to see what the problem is, but to be honest the wires etc are not my cup of tea! So should I just buy a new router?

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but my CMT1E has just stopped! Firstly it slowed down, and then refused to start. So do you think I have the same problem? I am not really an electronic tech guy, so not that comfortable with going inside to see what the problem is, but to be honest the wires etc are not my cup of tea! So should I just buy a new router?
Your symptoms sound more like the brushes are worn out.....How old is your router and has it been well used over the years..?

If it is just the brushes, they are pretty cheap and a doddle to replace.....Only takes a couple of minutes to swop them over.
I replaced a pair of brushes in an old Elu router a couple of weeks ago ( same router as the CMT and Dewalt models) and it is a really simple job.....You dont need to be an electronic expert as it's just a case of straight replacement of like for like parts.

Thanks for the info Distinterior. I'll have a look at the brushes tomorrow and see what I think. Over the nearly 20 years I have used it a reasonable amount in a router table, so it is possible they may have worn out.

Just a common on the CMT router - not really helpful in regard to the issues in the discussion ..

CMT make excellent router bits. Some of the best. And clearly they decided at some point to offer a router to go along with their fine bits. They chose to copy the Elu 177e, which was now out-of-protection. They could have chosen any of a dozen different designs. As did Trend. That says something very positive about the Elu 177e. I'm a little biased here as I have two of these, plus other models. All run strongly.

It appears that Dewalt parts are interchangeable. It therefore makes no sense to repair the CMT and not use it for fear of something going bad again. One may as well not have repaired it in the first place! Use them!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks for the info Distinterior. I'll have a look at the brushes tomorrow and see what I think. Over the nearly 20 years I have used it a reasonable amount in a router table, so it is possible they may have worn out.

As a quick guide & from memory, the worn out brushes I removed were roughly about 8mm in length.
The new replacements that I bought were about double that length, maybe even 20mm long.

Its certainly worth ordering a pair to try first before you make a decision to buy a new router.

Back