router table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ_1380

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello there!

I'm toying with the idea of a router table. I can't decide whether to buy one or make my own?

Looking at Axminster and Rutlands the pre made table tops and fences seem quite expensive. On the other hand the pre made router tables look flimsy! even the expensive ones!

Do you peeps think its better to make your own or buy a pre made? I'm interested in the general opinions. I'd need it for light trade usage.

Say if I had a budget of £250 - 300.

Any suggestions appreciated

R

I'd make your own - a phenolic router plate is about 30 quid, 2 metres of kitchen worktop is 25 notes in B&Q (or get an offcut from ebay/freecycle), about 30 quid for some 18mm ply to build the cabinet, a plug in NVR is about 15 quid

and that leaves you £150-200 to get a really good fence system from incra or kreg (assuming that the budget doesnt also include the router)

cheerrs Moosey

Yeah I have the router already.

I'm confused as to what I need, presumably I need a plate and an insert? Are these router model specific? If so where is good to buy?

What are thes rising router plates i've seen? Is the idea you raise the whole router rather than adjust the router depth (when on the table). I'm confused!

R

The Axminster model here:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rc=froogle

Is good, I have it.

You only need a plate, the insert some call it though they could be refering to the rings in the centre which you add and remove as the bit your using changes diameter to give you maxium support up to the cutter edge.

They aren't model specific, you normally have to drill and countersink your own holes for the mounting bolts which is fairly straight forward.

The rising router plates are exactly what you think, you wind the mechanism from above the table lifting the whole router.

Watch out on ebay for Kreg tops, I saw one go cheaply the other week.

Google Norm's router table design, thats the one to copy.

The plate stays put in the table and only the router lifts to the desired height and is precision adjstment with the winde brace.

Back