Router Table Material

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've just been given a 6' length of 40mm thick kitchen work top. It seems very flat with no twist etc. so I was wondering if this type of material is suitable for use as a router table top. Has anyone ever made a router table using kitchen work top offcuts ?

I found an offcut of worktop in B&Q for 5 quid and couldn't resist. It's as flat as I'm able to measure with a straightedge, and as I have one of the slightly domed Axminster router insert plates, the flatness isn't super critical for me anyway. Also, it's nice and thick, relatively low in friction and very hardwaring (especially handy for a klutz like me)

I originally went in to get some "fireback" which I understand some people have had a lot of success with, but that stuff is over £30, so I went for the bargain bin instead and it works really well.

IIRC Kitchen worktop can sag. So give it lots of support. Maybe even a torsion boxt type structure underneath it. Otherwise the laminate itself is near perfect.

Doesnt really matter how flat the top is as long as you have a good insert plate. So a kitchen worktop should be ideal.

Chems it matters very much if the weight of the router makes the whole thing sag in the middle.

Yes your quite right about that, I meant more for general bumps etc in the work top. I was a bit worried when I made mine as I'd glued 2 18mm MDF sheets together and then glued FireBack onto the top for the surface, but some parts had more glue on than others which gave slight imperfections in the surface. But fortunately I've realized that as long as the plate is flat and like you say there isn't massive cupping in the full surface you can get a perfect cut.

Wizer did'nt you buy a CastIron insert for your table saw for your router, did that go with the SuperSaw in the end?

My router table is about 15 years old, I made it, and the top is an offcut of 40mm. worktop, it has been so brilliant for me that I insist you go
3310469487_e446c5e578.jpg

Derek.

wizer":blnyjg4y said:
Chems it matters very much if the weight of the router makes the whole thing sag in the middle.

Indeed. I should have mentioned, the cabinet I made supports the top right up to the router plate to (hopefully) minimise any sagging.

Chems":2rfxc23a said:
Wizer did'nt you buy a CastIron insert for your table saw for your router, did that go with the SuperSaw in the end?

Nope it wouldn't have fit the Jet without a lot of modification and you know how capable I am? ;)

So I've kept it either for a dedicated table or to go in the small Axi if I ever buy it.

Thanks for the feedback all. :D

Looks like I've got a viable project on my hands here although I will take the precaution of bracing the work top as suggested. I'm rather fancying mounting it on a nice ply cabinet and I like the look of the Bill Hylton one he shows in his router book.

To cut the aperture in the worksurface for the router plate what is the best type of cutter to use as I want a clean a cut as I can possibly get ?

Yep, same here. I used some 40mm breakfast bar top I had left over from a job and it works a treat. I made the NYW style router table so it is supported well underneath with only a small section under the router unsupported but it hasn't sagged in two years. HTH. :wink:

Trigger,
You will see by my photo above that my plate fits exactly, cut out by using a C.M.T. milling cutter or similar, with top bearing, cutter is 12mm. dia. by 12mm. high, use no guide bush, but, fix with hot melt glue or double sided carpet tape, a batten of at least 12mm. thick tightly around the plate, (once you have positioned it), and rout only the edges, then cut out the rest with a jigsaw, a very tight fit will be made in this manner.
Derek.

mailee":66ixxkcm said:
Yep, same here. I used some 40mm breakfast bar top I had left over from a job and it works a treat. I made the NYW style router table so it is supported well underneath with only a small section under the router unsupported but it hasn't sagged in two years. HTH. :wink:

I'm on the lookout for some breakfast bar top to use as my router table top, which will double as an outfeed table for the TS. Got the idea after seeing a workshop tour (Doug B???). Hope I get a job with some soon.....or maybe B&Q will have one of their reject pieces discounted.

Cheers

Karl

Thanks for that tip Derek.

I'm not sure what type of plate to go for as there doesn't appear a huge choice in the UK.

I want either phenolic or aluminium but don't want one of the type that tends to rise intoward the centre.

Woodpeckers in the U.S. do a good phenolic and aluminium plate that look nice but when you add on what they want for shipping I could go out and buy complete Jessem kit.

Does anyone have any recommendations ?

Trigger":21izdabi said:
Thanks for that tip Derek.

I'm not sure what type of plate to go for as there doesn't appear a huge choice in the UK.

I want either phenolic or aluminium but don't want one of the type that tends to rise intoward the centre.

Woodpeckers in the U.S. do a good phenolic and aluminium plate that look nice but when you add on what they want for shipping I could go out and buy complete Jessem kit.

Does anyone have any recommendations ?

I recently posted about this in a different thread (which was ignored by the OP, why ask a question then not respond? I digress....)

Wood Workers Workshop stocks most Woodpeckers stuff and the prices aren't bad. You have to use an old fashioned thing called a telephone to contact him though....

of course Rutlands stock the Woodpeckers Unilift and Jessem thingy as well.

We had all this bit about plates rising up in the middle on another British forum about a year ago, I posted a picture of my rounded plate, which was perfectly flat once the weight of the router was fixed to it, I have a Phenolic plate from Axminster and can demonstrate, if need be, by photo as to how flat they are. I have found nothing wrong with the plate that I use, my previous one was of 6mm. aluminium, but would not take the larger cutters that I bought

Thanks Loz,

I've had a look at the site but other than the telephone number there isn't a huge amount on there.

I own a couple Woodpeckers products, the T square and Story Stick which I really rate and their router plates look good also, hence the reason for looking at them. Also they offer the plate pre drilled to fit my Triton which is another plus.

Interesting point about the weight of the router Derek. I did look at the Dakota one Rutlands sell and sent it back as I wasn't impressed at all maybe I should take a look at the axminster before I decide.

Latest posts

Back