Router table insert

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
peter99":1tg8no62 said:
This is not posted to extend the thread into a mathmatical argument, solely to put it all into perspective. Size within reason irrelevent, how you do it and what into deffo is.

peter

A motor srewed to a plate should be bolted down for safty and if it means using M8 countersunk nut&bolt then that do me fine.

I certainly wouldn't want my router and plate just plopped in the hole without it secured especially if I'm working with oversized bits...jesus! thats ludicrously dangerous.

RussianRouter":3lpyuwrf said:
So those who don't bolt down the plate? then why have a plate in the first place? ie why not just cut a hole out wide enough in the table and just buy the disc and cut an reces for the disc.
Two reasons in my case. Firstly the table top will be probably 30 or 40mm thick (not yet finalised). Bolting the router to the underneath would lose 30 or 40mm of reach on the cutter, so probably useless.

Secondly if I bolt the router onto the underneath of the main table top, I need to get in underneath if I ever need to access the router. With the plate I can just lift the router and plate up through the top of the table.

aesmith":zg1eka5x said:
I can just lift the router and plate up through the top of the table.

Tis exactly what I do and I've never had any concerns that the Router was about to become a Helicopter.

I'm just wondering how much upwards force is expected, if four M6 machine screws aren't strong enough.

aesmith":ztxt10gc said:
I'm just wondering how much upwards force is expected, if four M6 machine screws aren't strong enough.
Hopefully not more than around 38kN (if my sums are right and the tensile strength of stainless 304 is around 500MPa that is). I think we'll be ok chaps...
smiley_ROFLMAO.gif

Seriously though, I'd never thought of just sitting the router and plate in the recess - it has advantages if you want quick access (maybe to remove the router and use it right-way-up, or even just to adjust the depth or change cutters). My suggestion of using Tee nuts was made with quick access in mind, but no fixings at all would definitely be quicker.

have a look at the router workshop on the woodworking channel they never fasten the router into the table

Ok,this morning I recieved a block of Aluminium through the post off ebay.
The size is 300mmx70mmx20mm it weighs in at about 2.5Kg.

It was wrapped in cardboard and the postage price was£4.50

Just thought this might give you an idea of RM's postage Dibs,I doubt whether some folks plate and disc will weigh 2.5Kg

Must have a word with the postman...he actually drropped it through the letter box...an almighty thud was heard from the bedroom...twit of a postie.

halken":1ogpqixd said:
have a look at the router workshop on the woodworking channel they never fasten the router into the table

Were powertools are concerned I make my own mind up how its used...thank you very much.

halken":1c81tv5t said:

Which is where I got the idea from; some time ago now and I've yet to have a Router get Airborne. :lol:

WHere powertools are concerned I make MY own mind up but i also like to show that some people dont bolt down a router in a router table

RussianRouter said:

I certainly wouldn't want my router and plate just plopped in the hole without it secured especially if I'm working with oversized bits...jesus! thats ludicrously dangerous.

George
I'm judging from the fact that you are currently building a router table and asking questions about doing so, that you don't currently have one and don't have extended experience in using one.

The comments that are being made about the screw size, et al., are coming, as is typical of this forum, from knowledgeable and experienced users. Listen to them.

Rob

Rob, I've noticed that whenever you quote someone it doesn't work. I can't figure out why. What browser are you using? Do you edit the quote in any way when you do it?

Wizer - Chrome and yes I do edit out what is not needed. I just delete the non-relevent between the
's.

Interestingly enough I also have noticed that if I put in an emoticon, it appears as characters and not the picture.

Comments ?
Rob

OldWood":2o9hlskk said:
Interestingly enough I also have noticed that if I put in an emoticon, it appears as characters and not the picture.

Comments ?
Rob

When using emoticons in quotes put a space between and after the emoticon.

I suspect you're leaving a double quote/end quote in the line?

Latest posts

Back