Router Table dilemma

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weekend_woodworker

Established Member
Reaction score
Earlier this year I built a router table as an extension to my table saw and have been very pleased with it. I picked up a virtually new Rutlands motor and lift on EBay. I also have a trend spiral bit which was doing a fantastic job of cutting some very clean tenons. Then it made some funny noises and started smelling #-o.

I dismantled the motor and it seems the cooling fan at the top has smashed and damaged the rest of the motor as it went through! After getting very cross that the Rutlands router packed up after only 10 months use at weekends, the question is what do I replace it with? Rutlands are selling replacements for £180, but I had remoted out the speed control so I didn't need to grovel under the table. Woodworkers Workshop do what looks like the same thing but with the speed control remoted to the switch for £345. It seem a lot extra for a bit of wire and an NVR switch when it looks like the motors came out of the same factory in China.

Alternatively is there something else I could do that would avoid needing to grovel under the table but cost less than £345?

Your thoughts would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Mark

Thanks Sunnybob. I like Makita kit and it seems reliable, I am not sure that it will fit the router lift I have which is designed for a 4 1/4” round body. I guess it would also require some reworking to remote out the speed control.

The link is for one that does not have a speed control/ Mine doesnt, and I've used cutters up to 1 1/2" diameter without issues.
Router lifts come in all shapes and sizes. You can spend as much or as little as you want. My home made one is from scraps of wood and cost me about a quid all in.

Latest posts

Back