Router table design advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just checked ebay. first site i looked at is selling ally plate 6mm thick x 500mm x 250mm at £28.63 delivered to the door, and thats RETAIL!
I'm not unfamiliar with metal working, Looks like I might just make my own even if I dont have a lathe or milling machine.

sunnybob":3kilamrm said:
I just checked ebay. first site i looked at is selling ally plate 6mm thick x 500mm x 250mm at £28.63 delivered to the door, and thats RETAIL!
I'm not unfamiliar with metal working, Looks like I might just make my own even if I dont have a lathe or milling machine.

Way to go I'd say. I don't think you really need a lathe or mill to make one, just does it quicker.
Half inch ally plate is 17 quid a square foot at my local hobby engineering shop, I'll be off to pick up a piece tomorrow. Half inch is probably overkill, but their bizarre pricing makes it cheaper than 10mm.
The router I'm planning to mount in this thing has a lousy 50mm plunge, so it'll need an extension whatever I do.
Robin

50mm plunge is about the norm. Dont forget the HUGE sideways force on a cutting bit at 30,000 rpm. Go too far and the shaft will either bend or break, and at those speeds you dont want to be in the room when that happens, let alone standing over it.
I have a slightly harder time sourcing small quantities of metal here as there are very few hobby shops, but its definitely on the list for this year.

Latest posts

Back