router speed for door cutters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewart

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Back from my hols in Greece and straight into the workshop! I need to make some cupboard doors and have been given a cope and stick cutting set on half inch shanks. They are 45mm in diameter. My router is not variable speed - it's a Makita 3612BR and runs at 23000 rpm. Is it ok to use the cutters in this ( in a table!) or do they need to be run at a slower speed........in which case any recommendations for a sub-£100 variable speed half inch router that's easy to use in a table?
Cheers!
Stewart

Yes, definitely need a slower speed for that diameter. Not too sure about which router to buy for under £100 though. I would have a look on E-bay personaly as you can get good quality routers at a cheaper price. Only ones I can recommend are the ones I use which are mostly over the £100 mark. Elu, De Walt, Hitachi, Trend. If you are going to be using it a lot I would recommend going for one of the better makes evn if you have to pay that bit more. I have a Hitachi M12 in the table and find it the bees knees for everything I need. Sorry I couldn't be of more help Stewart but maybe one of the other guys on here could recommend a good sub £100 router for your needs.

Stewart,

Just to confirm, I have looked at the Titman catalogue, they say 18,000 max for their profile and scribe sets.

I have a cheap B&Q router that I have used in my table but would not recommend it to you. I now have a Triton, chalk and cheese. :shock:

Just before you rush out to buy another router, Wealden have no restructions on their cutters except to say use in a table, I run mine at full speed in my Elu which is around 23000rpm.

But CMT say 16000 rpm on theirs!

What make are your cutters, if they are cheap imports then I would not want to spin them up too fast.

Jason

Thanks for the replies, guys - you confirm what I thought.
The cutters are not branded so I guess they're a cheap import set. I'd love to go for the DW625 but can't justify the cost yet! Perhaps I'll make the doors differently...
Cheers again!
Stewart

An alternative may be to get an add on speed controller for your router.
I've not tried one, but remember reading about them somewhere.

Basicly a kind of dimmer switch you plug your router into, and it gives you a speed control.

probably cheaper than buying a new router in the short term.

Hi Waka
That's a very kind offer - I've often wished I lived a bit nearer to the Three Woodkateers but it's a bit of a drive from Brighton! I might be able to borrow one from nearer home.
thanks again
Cheers
Stewart

stewart,
i have the same router and use door scribing cutters on it. Only problem ive found is that if your too slow then it tends to burn. As far as i know its not a safety issue too run them too fast but more a finish issue. Would check it out tho.

Rutlands have a router that takes 1/2" cutters and is variable speed.
Its £59.95, I have to say that seems so cheep there is no way it can be any good?

Maybe it would solve your problem in the short term for that price?

This well designed 1/2" router has a high torque 1500W motor. The motor has full electronic speed control over a range of 6,000-26000 rpm to suit cutters up to 3" diameter and can be used to rout hardwood, softwood and some plastics. The body is made from aluminium castings which plunges effortlessly on the precision machined pillars and the fine height adjuster allows the cutting depth to be adjusted by 0.1mm at a time. The rotating depth stop has seven different positions for rapid cutting depth change and the router offers a plunge of 0-70mm. All controls are well positioned and the on/off trigger, locking switch and speed control are all accessible by the operator during use. The ergonomically designed handles have a rubber non-slip grip for greater user comfort. This router comes with 8mm and 12mm collets as well as the standard 1/2" collet. This 1/2" router kit comprises: Router, 8mm, 12mm and 1/2" collets, side fence, 12 pce router cutter set and blow moulded carry case . With 3 year warranty.

X093.jpg

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/X093

Stewart:

Not all routers like an after market speed controller....common complaint is surging & bogging down. Some woodworkers have also claimed that their router was damaged....so be careful. As to speed & if it is a safety issue...you bet it is. The recommended speeds based on diameter of the bit usually generate cutter tip speeds of 104 to 107 mph. A 2" dia. bit at the recommended 18,000 rpm = 107 mph. Imagine the tip speed at 23,000 rpm or scare yourself by working it out. Then imagine a thrown cutter tip at that speed.

Lee

Hmmm.......

Waka wrote:
Wheres your sense of adventure, just think you could borrow a router and get really dragged down the slope.

....I've been worried about that slope for some time :lol:

I tend to take a while to get round to things, Waka, but I'm on a roll now and should be able to get the job done this summer. Would a loan for this long be ok with you?

Cheers
Stewart

Nola, thanks for the information about the router from Rutlands. I'm going to hang on until I can afford a De Walt, I think,
Cheers
Stewart

Waka
PM sent!

Back