Bosch router woes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteHB

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Bosch GOF 1600 which just stopped working in the router table so I took it out and put it into its plunge base and it still wouldn't work. Thinking it might be brushes or dust I took it apart reset the brushes and put it back together again and yes it works but the speed adjustment has decided that it will only operate over two speeds. Took it apart again and it seems the click stop potentiometer on a small circuit board is stuck. I don't want to try to force it and can't think of any reason why it should suddenly decide to stick. Trying to get any joy out of Bosch is a waste of time. I could buy another but this is a UK spec one and all my cutters are half inch, I now live in France and of course the EU spec is 12 and 8 mm. I had loads of trouble trying to source a collet for a EU spec GKF 6mm router to use 1/4" cutters and it was impossible. It is unbelievable that Bosch make a router with specific non interchangeable collets but it seems they do. I ended up using a sleeve in the GKF. but don't think that is going to be an option to get 12mm to 1/2".
I will take it apart tomorrow after I have used it to cut some hinge recesses.

Last edited:
In the Uk my first port of call would be Miles Tool & Machinery Centre for spare parts. It may be worth a look on their website for what you need.

Thanks for that they advertise one, £100 :mad: then plus about another 35% thanks to Brexshit.

I ended up using a sleeve in the GKF. but don't think that is going to be an option to get 12mm to 1/2".
That is certainly possible - if you have a metal working facility, or access to someone who has. I have made sleeves for my ½" Router collets for 12mm, 10mm, 8mm, ¼", 6mm and 1/8". The 12mm was the easiest to split since it only need one cut and at 0.35mm thick could easily be done with a junior hacksaw (I think I cut mine with a jeweller's saw).

Going to a ¼" for a 6mm collet of course is not possible :) --- but could be done for an 8mm.

If you decide to buy the European version of the Bosch router (GOF 1600CE), you can find the 1/2" collet at several vendors. Here is one from Sautershop:

https://www.sautershop.com/bosch-collet-1/2-b-2-608-570-108?c=13135

In fact I have a GOF 1600 CE bought in the UK my doubt is that the 1/2" collet will fit the European version. One would think so but as I tried to explain with the smaller 600 palm router the 1/4" collet designed for the UK version will not fit the European version as the armature / shaft is machined differently and the collet will not close on the cutter shaft and Bosch do not make a specific collet for it and I suspect that the same might apply with the bigger router.
It really pineappled me off and I haven't bought Bosch since although I like the router.

Back