Router plunge springs replacement

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hornbeam

Established Member
Reaction score
The plunge return springs on my Elu MOF 96E version 1 seem to have finally worn out. Any ideas where I can get a replacement. A number of sites list parts but not the springs. Router is virtually identical to Dewalt 615 and a Trend version
Thanks
Ian

Are you sure it’s doesn’t just some lube like ptfe spray.

Pete

Define "worn out" a bit better: not springy any more, compressed, or worn-through physically?

Trends and DeWalts are copies of the old Elu designs, so you might find their springs will fit. In which case, there are a number of spares stockists, including Miles Tools (MTMC) in Yeovil.

As Pete says, you might try just cleaning and greasing to start with - it's a very cheap fix if it works :)

E.

I have to echo Eriks sentiment - I bought a secondhand 1/2" router to use for a router table and thought I'd bought a duff one and was going to return it, when I thought I'd better just try some penetrating lube spray - after giving it a few minutes to work and applying pressure with clamps they became unstuck and a bit more spray and moving did the trick.

Cleaning and greasing already done and action is nice and smooth both ways but just no compression/rebound force from the springs.
Ian

Try removing the springs and checking movement. its possible that something is binding, even though the action appears smooth.
Without springs the plate should fall from end to end rapidly.

I've got a pair of springs from a mof98 that blew it's motor. Could they be an alternative? I can post up some measurements later to compare.

I'm happy to post them to you f.o.c if they are of any use.

James

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks spragnut, will check but think yours are bigger.
There is nothing wrong with the action everything is smooth and free. I have had the router for nearly 30 years and serviced it several times so I know how it should feel. It needs new springs.
MOF96 spriings are listed as part 34 and 32 but I cant find anyone who stocks them

post dimensions, length, diameter, coils per inch.
I have a pair of unused makitas and another pair from another router that are surplus.

I've been in the workshop today and come across the springs, I've had a quick measure and they are 13.8mm diameter, 282mm long uncompressed and the coil wire is 1.3mm in diameter.

Let me know if they are of any use.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back