router help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDAudio

Reaction score
Hi, i am new to the forum, my current router table set up is a plunge router mounted to a cheap router table and i use a car scissor jack for easy hight adjustment but i am now looking for a better set up, i would like a 1/2" fixed base router with above table adjustments like the Bosch GMF1600CE, if i could find this rougher without the plunge base i would be happy with that but i don't seem to be able to, does anyone know of any other routers that would fit my needs?

Also i am looking into dust extraction, i mainly cut mdf, using a circular saw and on the router table, what sort of extraction would be best for me...
A fine dust extractor? dust and chip extractor?

thanks for any help

Triton TRA001 for the router and either buy a ready made table with insert like this one
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworkin ... ota+dk2009
I have the above table with the TRA 001 in it but without the above table winder as it is an early model and I adjust the height by reaching underneath, changing the cutters is dead easy just raise the router right up it then locks the spindle automatically the collett protrudes thru the table.
I also have the MOF 001 with the above table winder but find it a little under powered for table use.
or buy the insert
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworkin ... kota+dka38
and make your own table
Or you could buy one of their super expensive tables with lifter and use a different router :D

I have the GMF1600 CE. I was attracted to it because it came with the two bases. I have the fixed base mounted in my table, and it's very quick and easy to drop the motor housing out to change the bit or to swap over to the plunge base. I find that I only use the above-table adjustment (with the provided allen tool) for the very fine adjustments. Coarse adjustments (choice of 3 depths on the fixed base) are still made beneath the table, and can be a little fiddly.

Any reason you don't think you'd make use of the plunge base?

If you are happy with the router you have it is worth checking if a Router Raizer can be fitted to it.

I was about to post about the Triton as well. Had mine about a month and it is fan flippin' tastic. Very powerful and smooth. I also bought the triton table and it makes it dead easy to use from above.

The only negative is that you have to reach under the table (which is open to allow this) to turn off the router itself before you can raise it to full height to change cutters. I know it's a safety feature but it is plugged I to the NVR plug so it is off anyway. However it is a minor point and I won't be swapping mine for anything else.

yeah i spent last night looking into the triton router and have decided that is that i am going to go with as it fits by needs well.

what sort of dust extraction do people recommend for mdf dust?

Back