Router Cutters - Which Manufacturer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuartgb100

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine can get me new router cutters at very reduced prices.
The options are Trend, Erbauer, Bosch (only a few) and Freud.

Is there a generally agreed manufacturer to go for ?
If there is a preference, would there be any particular order ?

Thanks.

I'm guessing the Erbauer are the bottom end and I doubt you'ld notice any difference between the other three unless you did a long comparison run on cutter performance over 100's of feet. I doubt you'd be doing that, so buy with confidence.
In the highly unlikely event you cannot get the profile you want, then buy from Wealden, I think the majority of forum members will have used there excellent cutters over the years.

Colin

My preference order would be Trend (if their pro range, red ones), Bosch, Freud then Erbauer.
If your friend only has a limited choice available, Wealden are a great option for the ones he can't get.

A router bit is a router bit, in so far as the design is universal and typically apart from the colour of the paint it’s difficult to tell one from another. The main difference between router bits is the quality of the carbide that does the cutting. In general the finer the grain structure the sharper / longer they last. The cost of the carbide I suspect is a big part of the price difference as well as brand. So, if you are using them day in day out better quality router cutters are worth getting. For one off, or DIY use it doesn't really make a big difference.
To answer your question, if your DIY id get any of the brands youve indicated. If the most used blunt quickly you can buy replacements and try different brands. For the most part 80% of a set will rarely if ever get used.

Wealden Tool Company is the go to place for router cutters - great selection, prices and quality.
Yes they are really good and in a different league to Trend, they are my general go to bits for many jobs but they do not have a widw range of the more unusual profiles for mouldings, here I use bits from Infinity

https://www.infinitytools.co.uk/router-bits/
They do a great range of flush trim cutters as well

https://www.infinitytools.co.uk/router-bits/mega-flush-trim-bit/
You soon learn that you get a better job and can make life easier with decent cutters, pay more for quality and they last.

You can get virtually any router bit online now - I have ordered some directly from China and they seem fine. For convenience Wealden certainly have a great choice and reasonable prices. The large 1/2" bits start to become very expensive if you stick to the standard brands and if you only use them once or twice a year I would save money on the yellow pack bits from Amazon.

Out of that list I would say Freud is best then Trend, Bosch and erbauer last.
Trend do at 3 ranges though the green craft, black trade, and grey professional.

I bought a large budget set of faithful to start with thinking that I would replace the ones I wore out with quality bits.. to be fair they have lasted really well.

I only use a few bits though
Small and large straight, trimming bit with bearing, round over large and small (Radius) x 2, rebate cutter and dovetail cutter
I guess it depends what you are planning though..

Buying a diamond sharpener and some BBQ cleaner massively extends the life massively, just remember to sharpen the same number of strokes on both sides

I've only bought the green trend bits and they didn't seem very different to the budget bits.. I haven't tried the other ranges.

Many thanks again all.
Seems my friend's source has to be Screwfix, so that's a bit limiting.
Nonetheless they're almost free he says.
I expect they wil be, because they're his backdoor way of a 'thank you' for some help I'm given him.
I suspect he's actually paying full whack for them !
I'll probably go for a few basics, pretty much as BarbaraT mentioned, in 1/4 and 1/2" shank.
Cheers

Thanks.
At ToolsToday.com we offer the full range of Amana Tool, North America's largest provider of cutting tools for over 50 years. Amana have the largest selection of cutters of any brand globally, with excellent quality. You will find ToolsToday.com very price competitive compared to what is available from UK providers, who primarily source from Asia these days. We ship a lot of product weekly to the UK and everything is pre-paid. Get in touch if you have any questions.

I would suggest rennie tools as good quality inexpensive bits, also sold through amazon shop. If you can wait and want multiples then aliexpress
Chris

Thanks

Back