Router bodies

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdeacon

Established Member
Reaction score
Do router bodies not exists in the UK?

As a fairly recent newcomer to woodworking I've been watching a lot of tutorial videos. On many of the (North American - natch') videos, the answer to many a question is to buy a router body and make a - table lift, pantorouter, etc., etc.

Now, I'm completely fed up with my Trend table router insert. It's bowed. And reading the Amazon reviews, they all are. And, surprise, surprise, the marketing department describes the Trend insert's bow as intentional. I can't get cuts straight, however. On a less than tiny workpiece I can't avoid the ends rocking up and down and a wavy cut. I'm going to junk my homemade router table and do it again - with a piece of kitchen worktop and a flat metal insert plate.

Then I wondered if it's really worth trying to mount my Festool 1010 (lovely bit of kit) to a table again, so out of interest I looked for a router body, and there doesn't seem to be anything to be found in the UK!

Anyone know of commonly available body-only routers available in the UK?

Draper Expert do 1350W motor body with a 1/2" collet which mounts in a fixed or plunge base. The type Mr Wandel uses in his machines.

No idea what they are like, though there is at least one discussion thread on them.

Bright-Spark

the draper gets pretty good reviews. It is sokld as a dual bodied model, rather than motor only.

Bosch do one too, but at a much higher cost. It seems to get very good reviews.

I dont know of any others in the uk. shame really, it seems such a good idea. I also dont know whether any USA ones are 220V so you could import.

Kress motors are widely used in small CNC setups
Based on the industrial die grinder format with a 43mm collar
Matt

jdeacon":38gwl7oc said:
Then I wondered if it's really worth trying to mount my Festool 1010 (lovely bit of kit) to a table again, so out of interest I looked for a router body, and there doesn't seem to be anything to be found in the UK!

Anyone know of commonly available body-only routers available in the UK?

It may be a little underpowered depending on the type of use you have in mind, but I'm currently building a jig using a Makita rt0700 ( http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/s ... KRT0700CX4 ). The base comes straight off leaving you a very useful little 65mm dia router body.

Draper Expert

Draper Expert router.jpg

Mounted the fixed base in my router table, can dismount the motor to use with the desperate plunge base.

Good value at well under £200

Attachments

• Draper Expert router.jpg
    Draper Expert router.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 1,432
Keep an eye on ebay, plenty of sellers on there sell the variable speed motor for the porter cable 7518. :)

I have a Triton TRA001 for a table router, remove the spring and mount upside down, drill an additional hole for the raise lower mechanism and jobs a good un. 3HP, single hand bit change (auto locks when raised for bit changing) can be used as a plunge router if you feel the need.

For the money I doubt there is anything else to get near it for table use. £206 from Tool-Net.

Latest posts

Back