Routed bowls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody67

Established Member
Reaction score
Howdy all - just seen a brill video on youtube about making bowls with a router. Any woodnuts out there done any? And if so, any tips,methods,pics etc,etc :p 8) :lol:

I don't suppose you've got a link to the video, by any chance?

Never done any myself but Pat Spielman and Carl Roehl wrote a book on the topic, using both the router and the scroll saw. Their work was very impressive but it seemed to be quite involved.

Gill

yes I have that book and agree it seems a lot of work. Your better off either turning or carving, much more interesting.

The link to the video would be nice tho ;)

Thanks fellow woodnuts - the last post was the vid - WOODSMITH. I'm maybe out of my depth on these forums as my router is 6 years old from Aldi!! :shock: :shock: Never mind Mr DeWalt may pay a visit to my shed, er workshop one day - actually its a converted conservatory my dad built 16 years ago - great for natural light!

Woody :oops: :oops:

actually, i stand corrected. Seeing it in action seems a lot simpler. WIll try it one day.

Thanks for the link :) . It's an interesting video and uses much simpler techniques than Messrs Spielman & Roehl. That said, the work it produces isn't as sophisticated, although it is definitely attractive.

On seeing the video, I'm wondering why the bulk of the waste wood isn't removed with either a jigsaw or a fret saw before the blank is assembled.

Gill

Gill, did he not remove the bulk so he something to attach his template to? :? :?

The template was attached to waste wood on the outside of the laminated block. He could have removed an awful lot of the waste wood inside the block with a saw before laminating it. It would have meant less work for his router and he might even have been able to laminate the waste he removed to make another, smaller bowl.

Gill

I was thinking that the technique entailed a lot of waste; a bit inevitable if you want a bowl of that shape perhaps. :(

Back