segmented bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carreragt

Reaction score
hi all
i want to make a segmented bowl
any tips on how to plan it out and is there any software to help me through the process
thanks in advance

I did a lot of segmented bowls over the years, but I have stopped doing them now and moved on to other hobbies, such as CNC
when I started doing the bowls I bought this book and found it very useful, I made several of the Indian Blanket designs shown in the book
it is worth getting and it is not as difficult as you might think, all is explained in the book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Segmented-Wood-Turning-Step-step/dp/0941936864/ref=sr_1_2?qid=1697091351&refinements=p_27:Malcolm+Tibbetts&s=books&sr=1-2

Last edited:
You don't have to use software unless your going for a very specific finished result.
Once you have a jig built to cut your segments at the correct angle then the only dimension left to decide is the segment width which determines the overall diameter of each ring. I generally stick to 12 segments per ring and 22mm width = 80mm diameter and 41=150 (roughly). The height of the rings can be varied for added effect. Decide on your desired finished shape and create the rings accordingly. You can either start with a rough idea and see how it turns out or you can start with a specific goal in mind and go from there.
Here is a recently completed project where I wanted a specific look to the finished pieces.

Attachments

• 20230910_111240.jpg
    20230910_111240.jpg
    852.3 KB · Views: 0
I did a lot of segmented bowls over the years, but I have stopped doing them now and moved on to other hobbies, such as CNC
when I started doing the bowls I bought this book and found it very useful, I made several of the Indian Blanket designs shown in the book
it is worth getting and it is not as difficult as you might think, all is explained in the book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Segmented-Wood-Turning-Step-step/dp/0941936864/ref=sr_1_2?qid=1697091351&refinements=p_27:Malcolm+Tibbetts&s=books&sr=1-2
thanks for the info its on order

You don't have to use software unless your going for a very specific finished result.
Once you have a jig built to cut your segments at the correct angle then the only dimension left to decide is the segment width which determines the overall diameter of each ring. I generally stick to 12 segments per ring and 22mm width = 80mm diameter and 41=150 (roughly). The height of the rings can be varied for added effect. Decide on your desired finished shape and create the rings accordingly. You can either start with a rough idea and see how it turns out or you can start with a specific goal in mind and go from there.
Here is a recently completed project where I wanted a specific look to the finished pieces.
thanks for the info bud nice work by the way if i make anything like that i will be very pleased

Back