rotten window frame from shower help plus bead bath seal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greek Enigma

Established Member
Reaction score
DSC02274.JPG
Hi sorry if in wrong section (maybe even wrong forum)

sorry im only a member of this forum (should i join screwfix forum or another any recommendations for these types of problems?)

anyway if someone knows and can help here is my prob.

ok my mum lives in a mobile home and the shower is located right near a window

it seems water has been getting behind the bead seal and rotting the frame thing away

is it as easy as ripping off old, then hammer in new after measured and cut (bought what seems the same wood thing from b&q)
then seal

also need to seal around bath

should i just fit then put a bead on with and silicone sealant (i have some Wilkinson bathroom sealant)
then rub with washing liquid on finger?

then do the same around the bath? also would it be the same for kitchen sink and can i use the bathroom sealant in the kitchen as well?

thanks

should i do it like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXrtKYfHdtY)

oops one last thing
when fitted how do i stop the nails rusting? (im thinking hit with punch to embed but then what? pollyfiller?

Attachments

• DSC02274.JPG
    DSC02274.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 96
SOMEBODY PLEASE :cry:

THIS IS WORSE THAN I THOUGHT!

by lil brothers bedroom is just behind the taps of the bath and when i lied on his bed i smelt the most strong mold smell ever!!!!!!!

its because the water has got behind the bath etc and omg the mold smell!!!

hes been sleeping like this for days and i cnt take no more please help someone

should i just stick a small heater under the bath to dry out the wall (some type of wood like mdf or something)

then when completly dry say dry a lil a day with heater

then spray it with white vinegar (i heard it kills mold??)

please someone help as my mum and bro are on holiday for 2 weeks and i want to get the mold sorted and fit new frame etc

thankyou

Hate to give you the bad news - I would remove the bath to see the extent of the water\mould damage. You might get away with an endoscope type camera - if you already have one. Wouldn't buy one specially to check this. However, you could remove a small piece of plasterboard on the bedroom side, below tap level and between 2 studs. Could be re-instated relatively easily if need be. That way you can see what the situation is under the bath, etc. and also what the situation is in the stud wall\timbers.

If the smell on the other side of the stud wall is that strong - you may have a lot of mould. Drying would take too long - probably better to remove the affected plasterboard\timber and renew.

HIH

Dibs

Sorry .. but I'm +1 with Dibs

It may be worth having a look underneath the mobile home and see if the floor has been compromised.. you may be able to see bath !!

Dibs-h":oc77dl9q said:
Hate to give you the bad news - I would remove the bath to see the extent of the water\mould damage. You might get away with an endoscope type camera - if you already have one. Wouldn't buy one specially to check this. However, you could remove a small piece of plasterboard on the bedroom side, below tap level and between 2 studs. Could be re-instated relatively easily if need be. That way you can see what the situation is under the bath, etc. and also what the situation is in the stud wall\timbers.

If the smell on the other side of the stud wall is that strong - you may have a lot of mould. Drying would take too long - probably better to remove the affected plasterboard\timber and renew.

HIH

Dibs
'you could remove a small piece of plasterboard on the bedroom side, below tap level and between 2 studs.' (it all ready has this) :)

ok let me say all again as i admit im not explaining myself correct

ok when i noticed the frame deco around windows had rotten (from shower being installed right near it :evil: )

i broke it off and see it had penetrated in the walls

i then went into my little brothers room and MASSIVE SMELL OF MOLD I CNT EXPLAIN IT ITS A HORRID SMELL (worried for his health)

anyway i lifted his bed out the way (and noticed a hatch on the mdf wall YES MDF WALL??)

anyway i automatically knew that was their so making access to taps etc easier

so straight away thought take this off and bung a heater on their (but is that safe or am i going to make mold spurs go worse)

p.s only have a lil fan heater (aka blows hotish air)

but this has made the smell worse?

so sorry to ask for help but my mum bought a terrible mobile home (i wish she told me to check it out before she bought it)

as she paid way way way to much for this pile of s***

thanks all

OK - I kinda get what you mean\describe.

I wouldn't use a fan heater as this will just spread mould spores into the air! And you'll just breathe them in.

Dibs

Dibs-h":2hv1ail8 said:
OK - I kinda get what you mean\describe.

I wouldn't use a fan heater as this will just spread mold spores into the air! And you'll just breathe them in.

Dibs
oh sh**

have i just contaminated his room? (been blowing hot air under their for like 2 hours now :oops:)

omg he has alot of stuff in their xbox 360, trainers, airsoft guns, all sorts

will this all be damaged now? (contaminated)

i actually wondered if blowing hot are might make spores go around

daym heater doesn't have a normal heat feature without the fan

this mold has so worried are health(we get it alot in this mobile home all around the daym place even the fiberglass behind walls are black!!)

very worried as my lil bro has been here since age 4 hes now 14 (i read about mold brain damage etc and am very worried as i also have been feeling extremely ill for a long long time YEARS)

i dnt want to take anything from here with me when i move lol IM GOING TO BURN IT ALL LOL serious though

Back