Rookie bandsaw problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie Copeland

Established Member
Reaction score
Having set up my new shiny bandsaw last week and testing it on some pieces of scrap wood I decided today to try cutting a bowl blank from a piece of green beech.

I sliced the bark edges off and drew a circle on top before starting to cut. I was using a 3/4 sabre tooth blade.

I thought this was ok for straight and radial cuts, but clearly not! The blade bent and started cutting squint.

I'm using good quality blades so I'm almost certain it's a case of user error!

Where did I go wrong?

I'd rather not keep ruining blades or ruin the bandsaw or, worse still, ruin myself!

What diameter blank are you trying to cut.

A 3/4" blade will cut a minimum of 7" radius/14" diameter according to the Tuffsaws website. If you have been trying to cut a smaller curve you will have some problems - this could be the root of your problem.

Terry

I know little about it,but recently i have been in talks with a chap about what blades to use for what purpose,in his view (in his position i think he should know), it is better to use a narrower blade ie,1/4 carbon with 6 or 10 tpi for curves and bends.

Please don't take this as the reason why your has broken,im only conveying what i have been told,im a newbie,im sure someone else will be along soon for more info.

Mark, not on green wood for blanks, they are not strong enough. The 3/4 blade was OK, but I suspect it may be application, sap or set up.

May need relief cuts before attempting the circle. I'm chucking that out there like a buzz word by the way, I could be talking nonsense.

But it will help, look up relief cuts and you'll see what I mean.

I'm pretty sure you would want to be using a less wide blade 1/2 inch or less. It does depend on the radius you are cutting. TPI is more about depth of cut and finish the cut leaves.

Back