Rojek Planer Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right it's here. I've set the tables but unfortunately I haven't been able to set the knives exactly. The tool kit hasn't arrived, I suspect this is because I asked the supplier to remove it from its crate and check its operation before delivery. I did a quick nut and bolt check and didn't find anything loose.

First impressions:
It had M10 holes in the legs which were just right for some machine feet I had which made levelling easy.
The tables are massively easier to set.
The machine is much quieter especially in thickness mode.
It takes about twice as long to covert from planing to thicknessing but you do have to wind down the table less.
It's much heavier and does seem more robust.

Simon

I have just bought a Rojek MSP310M and would love to hear anymore experience than you have had with it Oryx.

George

Oryxdesign":1iubmcc9 said:
Right it's here.

No Pics, It didn't happen ;)

I can pop down with the dial gauge and help you set the knives if you like?

wizer":1i0v8t3q said:
Oryxdesign":1i0v8t3q said:
Right it's here.

No Pics, It didn't happen ;)

I can pop down with the dial gauge and help you set the knives if you like?

Its not the dial gauge its the spanner that I'm short of. Never mind though it only about 1/2mm out on the drag test and I am getting a good finish.
I'm still at work, waiting for a coat of lacquer to dry, will take photos tomorrow when hopefully I feel a bit more lively.
Thanks for the offer and thanks Matt

Simon

Joints":2g38szg0 said:
I have just bought a Rojek MSP310M and would love to hear anymore experience than you have had with it Oryx.

George

How are you getting on with yours George?

work - that thing that can take over your life if you aren't careful. Oh whoops, Simon and I have just got home. What a way to spend an evening when the kids are away :roll:

ahh bliss, least you have each other. I'm home alone tonight :cry: :lol:

Well I haven't picked mine up yet. I bought the one that axminster were selling on ebay for £560 :S

Hopefully there won't be too much messing around with it!!

Well pictures you asked for so here goes:

4540505538_fdb79825c2_o.jpg

Well here she is already in action.
4540505974_11b56d5306.jpg

To convert to thicknessing you move this guard out of the way.
4539872147_ca3dd371c5.jpg

If you're not careful the guard promptly drops on this floor so I added this stop.
4539872371_69bc3f70a7.jpg

The machine is meant to be installed with enough room behind it so that you slide the fence right to the rear lift it up and then you can raise the table. I haven't got that much room but removing the fence is easy enough so we went that route
4540506696_177fa80926.jpg

The bit on the back of the fence dangles around getting in the way so I added a magnet to tame it.
4539872819_ef8868ac4c.jpg

Then the tables can be lifted
4540507362_4f528a0369.jpg

On the Jet you had to wind the table along way down to convert from thicknessing to planing, you have to wind much less (60mm) on this one.
4539873773_8185958d46.jpg

Extraction works fine
4540508216_4e9c3bea6b.jpg

At last, now I can get on with some work!
4540508450_1d65aac61c.jpg

Well, so far so good. It feels like a much better machine than the Jet, more beefy. The fence is a little flimsy only being attached at one end but it is at 90 degrees and that's what matters.

Simon

Thanks Simon. Not too shabby. Although, I fell asleep while you where changing modes :lol: I'll be interested to her how it fairs in the long run. I'm back in love with my Jet. But I do hope it's not a love hate relationship ;)

Why in the first picture does it look like the extraction hose goes in the wrong way?

The mode change looks like a right faff, my £140 SIP is quicker than that. I hated that about my first P/T thats the reason it went. I guess your machine would be fine if you had the space not to have to take the fence off, as thats the major pain. Jets still the top runner in my book.

Chems":2q4e9peo said:
Why in the first picture does it look like the extraction hose goes in the wrong way?

The mode change looks like a right faff, my £140 SIP is quicker than that. I hated that about my first P/T thats the reason it went. I guess your machine would be fine if you had the space not to have to take the fence off, as thats the major pain. Jets still the top runner in my book.

It has two extraction hoods, the other one folds over the top for thicknessing.

Although it looks a faff to change over it doesn't take any longer than the Jet because you have to wind the table up and down less. It is also more comfortable to change over, lifting that table on the 410 was heavy work. I personally can live with removing the fence but I think I have sussed a way to leave it on which will make it faster.

I don't know if my Jet was a lemon but this seems a much better machine.

I didn't realize you had a jet before?! So its better than the jet then, I'd have to have a good long play before I bought a big P/T.

Have you not got space for separates?

I had a 410 and it was returned under guarantee. I'm already short of space and the kind of projects I do mean I can quickly get snowed under with materials at the beginning of manufacture and then up to my eyes in furniture waiting to be fitted.

Cheers for the picture mate. When mine arrives and I clean it up and get it going I will have to let you know how it goes.

George

Latest posts

Back