Rojek Planer Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's dead again. It has been fixed a few times by the supplier and I have lost trust in it. To be honest I've hardly used it, every time I get a job in for it it breaks. The suppliers, who have been great to be honest, are recommending I buy a Rojek.

No experience of the Rojek Simon, but Jets' reputation seems to be taking a bit of a battering lately.

Cheers

Karl

ps - Nobex blade is in the post in the morning - sorry, just been busy with work.

Interestingly, there was a review on the Ax site of the 260 (same as Toms) where the guy had burnt out umpteen motors - Rob

hi.

sorry if i'm saying something stupid, but if it's a motor fault, wouldn't it be cheaper/easier to replace it with a 3rd party one?

I've never used rojek P/Ts, but I've seen some in the flesh (from euro 5 series) and the build quality isn't that much different from the jet's: welded steel for cabinets, plastic bristol levers, aluminium fences, etc.

It's not a motor fault and it is still in its warrantee period so it's being exchanged under that arrangement.

I had the same model rojek- i didn't rate it. I had the same fault with mine twice which required an expensive part.

For the same money i would pick up a second hand (newer model) Sedwick MB- This was a massive improvement over the Rojek, That said i sold that as well when i picked one of these up-
LotImage_28309_preview.jpg

It's a minimax fs350- it is far and away the best PT i've had and i've had a few. Tersa knives too- i will never ever ever go back to resharpenable.

They quite often come up and are worth looking at.
hth
Edit- They come in 240v too (mine is) and the tersa knives work out the same if not less than re sharpeneing and take about 1 minute too change 3 knives.

Hi Matty, it's not an option for me. When I bought the Jet I ummed and arred between the Jet and an MB, obviously now I wish I bought a second hand MB but the Jet seemed to be a good deal and was well thought of.

What problem did you have with the Rojek?

Oryxdesign":2860i9zv said:
Hi Matty, it's not an option for me. When I bought the Jet I ummed and arred between the Jet and an MB, obviously now I wish I bought a second hand MB but the Jet seemed to be a good deal and was well thought of.

I looked at the Rojek alongside the Sedgwick MB (and lesser machines :wink: ). The fence and general build quality on the Rojek didn't inspire any confidence. Especially compared to the Sedgwick which was right alongside. I am very very happy with my second-hand MB (new model).

Oryxdesign":2wxyc0lw said:

There is a cast bracket which the thicknessing column sits on which snapped twice- the fence wasn't great and the machine generally was a little clunky. Better than a lot of machines andnot awful by any stretch, just not as good as i wanted for the money.

Thanks for your review Simon, it's pretty similar to the one I would write for my Jet. However my supplier have been very good about the problem and have offered to swap the Jet for a more expensive Rojek msp315L.

I could probably get my money back but I've got a job in the shop that needs finishing and I have no time to source a second hand one. I was hoping everyone would tell me the new Rojek is a great machine and I could take the easy option. :cry:

Ours is getting worse by the day and it isnt even a year old yet.
We saved for a long time and paid a fair price expecting it to be a well built machine. It's alright getting machines fixed every time, but it doesnt help with nagging customers and workshop down time :wink:

We've been searching for a replacement for it so will keep an eye on your post.

Cheers, Simon

I'd really like the MB but I'd have to find over a thousand pounds more for a new one and MrsO wont let me have it!

It's not really a comparable machine to either the Jet or Rojek, it is way more expensive and weighs twice as much.

Oryxdesign":3r6kp62t said:
I'd really like the MB but I'd have to find over a thousand pounds more for a new one and MrsO wont let me have it!

It's not really a comparable machine to either the Jet or Rojek, it is way more expensive and weighs twice as much.

What's weight got to do with it?

Oryxdesign":tkhf8vqt said:

Simon - I'd take MrsO out for a nice lunch somewhere :wink:...weight shouldn't be an issue in your 'shop I would have thought - Rob

woodbloke":111n3i12 said:
Oryxdesign":111n3i12 said:

Simon - I'd take MrsO out for a nice lunch somewhere :wink:...weight shouldn't be an issue in your 'shop I would have thought - Rob

I just haven't got the cashflow at the moment Rob. I didn't budget for a new machine breaking. A new Sedge takes 21 days to deliver also, and I have my back against the wall time wise.

Simon

Back