Roberts & Lee v.s Thomas Flinn (Pax / Lynx)?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nads

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m still currently trying to build up my tool kit, I think I’m sorted on the plane front now with a couple of veritas………well for the time being anyway :wink: ! But now I’m looking and buying a couple of handsaws. LN and Adria are a bit out of price range, I’m looking at spending £130 (65 each) on a 8”dovetail saw and 12”Tenon saw. Due to this price I was looking at either Roberts & Lee or Thomas Flin’s Pax or Lynx range. Could anyone give me any guidance on these saws, and which might be better. Does anyone own either of these saws and could give me feedback on the two brands.

I was also wondering if anyone knows where I might be able to get access to David Charlesworth's test of dovetail saws?

Thanks again guys!

Nads

Nads":3romyg57 said:
I was also wondering if anyone knows where I might be able to get access to David Charlesworth's test of dovetail saws?
Furniture-making Techniques Volume 2.

Cheers, Alf

Andy – Thanks for the link! :)

Alf - Are you referring to Furniture & cabinet Magazine Vol 2 or something else? :?
I do get F&C magazine but only started collecting from issue 96 onwards, do you know how I might get access to this article?

Cheers

Nads

Hi Nads,

I've got a 14" Flinn. Other than the handle and needing to remove some set, it is a good saw. I reshaped the handle...

tenon_saws_0001b.jpg

I suspect the worse that any of them would need is a sharpen and to remove some set to make them work better than they do off the shelf.

Take care, Mike

Mike,

That reshaped handle looks great, you’re a very skill man! :wink: I’d be too worried about wrecking the handle altogether, if I tried to reshape it!

So you reckon either Flinn or Roberts & Lee saws would be ok, once I’ve removed some set, just out of interest how would I do that (using a slip stone)? I’ve spoken to Roberts & Lee direct, and not only can I buy the saws slightly cheaper than from Rutlands or Toolpost, but they will change the tooth profile on the saws for a small charge (£2). So I can order the Dovetail and Tenon in either rip or X-cut, as oppose to only x-cut available at both Rutlands or Toolpost. Maybe they could reduce the set for me too while they are at it? I was thinking of ordering a 8” dovetail in Rip and a 12” Tenon in X-cut what do you think? :?

Thanks

:p Nads

Hi Nads--remember, it's only wood. If it gets mucked up in the process you can make another...but I understand the hesitation. I'm either fearless or stupid :lol:

If the RL not only fit the budget requirements, but will also for such a small fee sharpen to your spec I would say go for it.

The steel we all use to make saws is close to the same. Some softer, some harder. Beyond that, it is all in the sharpening and the fit and finish of the wood and brass.

Sharpening down the road is certainly learnable. Shaping handles and or making new ones? Well, there's plenty of help to be had in that regard [as well as learning to sharpen].

And if they don't over set, heck just changing the profil to rip will take a little of the set off. For future lessening of the set, one just lightly moves a sharpenin stone [not a waterstone type] or fine diamond stone down the teeth, from the heel to the tow. Evenly on each side. Do a single pass on each side and take a test cut. If it drifts to one side, lightly do the side it drifts to once more.

But--use the saws for a while before making any changes. May not need any!

Take care, Mike

Fearless I reckon! :wink:

Thanks for the great advice!
I reckon I'll give R&L a ring on monday and put in my order,
my tool box just keeps growing, I can't wait until I start my Furniture making course in Sept! :)

Cheers

Nads

I have a PAX 14" tenon and 22" panel saw. The tenon works great, the panel saw feels like it needs a bit of work, but still is not too bad.

Thanks everyone for your great advise! :p
I'll let you know how I get on with my new saws when I get them!

Mike, I've sent you a PM to ask you about some saw specs, hope you don't mind?

Thanks again

Nads

Back