Robert Sorby Texturing & Spiralling Tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic Perrin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Here I am trying to pick your brains again!!

I purchased a Robert Sorby Texturing/Spiralling tool and have had a go and managed a few interesting patterns.

I am looking for advice on how to expand its use.

Any ideas are more than welcome.

Regards

Vic

Experiment. Use it at different distances, different angles, different approaches e.g. above , below and on the centre line, different lathe speeds. All these things will affect the texturing and patterning you get. Also using it on face work is very different to using it on spindle work. It also has different effects on different woods. Some, softer woods result in bad tear out if you aren't careful. Also try doing it from both sides, left and right approach for a cross hatching effect. However you use it it is really only with experimenting that you can find the effects that you like.

Pete

Hi Vic,

I got the crown one last week, and having a ball with it !!! - RS have some videos online that i have looked at also, but as Pete says - just experiment.

Hi

I've found that 'spiraling' sycamore and oak in spindle mode is particularly successful, I set the tool to one division from horizontal and cut very slightly below centre. A series of light cuts rather than trying to do too much at once works for me. I started with the wheel with about 3mm 'teeth' and found it easy enough to get the knack.

Regards Mick

Hi Vic
All I can say Is practice before You commit Yourself to a decent turning I too own the said tool along with the chatter tool .very good bit of kit but be gentle with it and use scrap timber until it comes good have you all the wheels with it?
there is numourus uses for it iv not mastered it yet but its good fun'
Regards
Bill

EnErY":1g1yoe9w said:
Hi Vic
All I can say Is practice before You commit Yourself to a decent turning I too own the said tool along with the chatter tool .very good bit of kit but be gentle with it and use scrap timber until it comes good have you all the wheels with it?
there is numourus uses for it iv not mastered it yet but its good fun'
Regards
Bill

Hi Bill, yes I have got all the wheels but have only had a go with the texturing tool up to yet.
I've been busy making a load of stuff for my son who is just moving into his first house, my biggest ever commission but by far my biggest non profit maker!!

I did put a nice pattern in the centre of some oak plate chargers that I made for my daughter (another non profit maker) and they looked very nice.

I am sure you right in what you say, that its just a case of practice and trying different ways.

Regards

Vic

I have the spiralling tool, and find that it is quite easy to tear the wood fibres and make a right mess, usually by pushing too hard. I would strongly recommend a bit of practice with scrap timbers until you find the right angles, tool position, lathe speed, applied pressure etc for you personally.

It is good fun, but I have yet to find a repeatable setting - it seems to vary with the timber for me.

Texture and flower done with Sorby tool. Beads with Ashley Iles beading tool. Wood is spalted shagbark hickory.
DSC00352.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00352.jpg
    DSC00352.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,032
Back