Ripple maple in Leicestershire/Northamptonshire

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardo16

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys im looking for some ripple maple in the leicester/northampton area.

Im looking for something like this http://www.martindodge.com/images/produ ... utlery.jpg

So far i have only been into goodtimber in northampton and will contact whitmores tomorrow but im in a rush to get some as i need it for monday.

I thought it was relatively easy to obtain.

Any help would be great guys

Adam

Hi Chems

I did see that article as i have been franticly looking everywhere the last couple of days.

I also saw the ripple sycamore but its different from maple isnt it?

WOW! All that cushion maple wasted on furniture!!!

That would make some beautiful guitars!

:D :D :wink:

Seriously..I think that particular piece is way over the top in its use of the cushion maple. It needs more contrasting dark wood and less maple IMHO.

Jim

Beardo16":2vef6xq1 said:
Hi Chems

I did see that article as i have been franticly looking everywhere the last couple of days.

I also saw the ripple sycamore but its different from maple isnt it?

well technically sycamore is a maple , in that it is an acer - Acer psuedoplatynus. However the maples are a big family including Acer sacharum - the sugar maple, Acer capestre -feild maple, Acer japonica - japanese maple and about 20 others so just looking for maple isnt a particular strict search (though i suspect most of the timber sold as "maple"is either Acer sacharum or Acer rubrum (red maple) )

Richard, he's actually some way from the A47 (about 6 miles) - he's just outside Stamford, in the Burghley Estate, on the southern road from Stamford to the A1.

exactly what i was thinking but i wasn't going to stick me neck out. Surely it is to valuable for that?

woodsworth":v4zdn3ji said:

exactly what i was thinking but i wasn't going to stick me neck out. Surely it is to valuable for that?

Nah...I am only kidding (a bit) mate. It's wonderful stuff, whatever you use it for. Nature, hidden and then exposed to its best. Quilted or cushion maple has long been my favourite for capping guitar bodies...I am still at awe when I rotate the wood in the light how it plays with it.

I must admit though....tiger or flame is my very favourite...especially on necks...check this one out on a Tele I did:

neck1.JPG

It is just beautiful stuff!

Jim

mmmm that looks good!

My phone is dead right now but i'll post some maple i'm turning into a violin. I've only got the sides done and glued, oh and some of the neck carved.

That quilted Maple though is much nicer the tiger and curly maple. I've seen a couple of guitars made from it and its just stunning wood. You can look right into it or so it seems.

Then we have birdseye which I think is astounding wood property...now that is lovely on furniture as panels and on necks....

neckscompared1.jpg

The one below is kind of cushion burr birch....

I think maple wins hands down as natures hidden treasure of effects though....

Jim

Nice violin mate!

And that spalded maple is gorgeous! See...maple truly is the king of woods.

Wonderful stuff!

Is that going to be the back of the solid body?

Jim

It's going to be the front.
The back is going to be black.
It's going to POP! as they say. Its just getting the time. With work and trying to get the shop in order, etc. Hoperully this year.

Just thought i would give an update on this one

Couldnt find any ripple maple anywhere so had to settle for birdseye which i must say is very striking. Must have been lucky and got a good board 8)

Anyway thanks for all the reccomendtaions.

I'm interested too, rippled maple is a funny thing to get, we brought a pack a few years ago and it was nearly as clean as a whistle but subsequent packs have been quite good.

Hi J

I would love to post picks but i have no incling on how too, otherwise i would post wips of my projects.

And yes im pants with computers, god knows why i have an iphone :oops:

god knows why i have an iphone

Does he really? know?

go to photobucket dot com and sign up. Upload your pictures into your new account there when you do there will be a dirrect link under the picture. copy that and click on the Img button on your reply and then paste your dirrect link into the post then click the Img button again and bob is your uncle.

Back