Guitar WIP - And so it begins

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right then folks, time for an update on progress...
So far, the body/neck has been glued up, the frets installed, remaining pockets routed and body carved.
More issues though, and primarily concerned with the neck. It is definitely a little on the thin side, but of perhaps more concern is the rather poor fret insertion technique I seem to have. Apart from using a lot of cyano to try and keep the ends from lifting, I removed and replaced of them. On the flip side, my rough home-made fret bending jig does seem to work....
The carving of the body was a lot of fun, and quite 'free' in that I kept rasping until I was happy with the curves. It has become a rather tactile body (sanded to 600) and the weight/size issue seems to have mostly disappeared. It is by no means a small guitar, but smaller than a 335. The carving was also an excellent opportunity to give my Liogiers' a workout. They performed beautifully, but I now realise that planes are not the only tools to have a slope :)
There is no finish yet, which will be Tru-Oil, and I intend to keep a relatively satin finish. I think the padouk, in particular, looks fabulous in an oiled, pore unfilled finish.
As for electrics - I am still working (well, my father-in-law is) on the schematic, but it will be a 5-way rotary switch over the two humbuckers with various split-coil options. Vol/tone per pickup also.

Right then, the photos :

A quick unglued mock up with neck
IMG_0043.jpg

Close up of the uncarved heel join. The fit was good enough that I could lift the guitar by the neck with little movement. I did take a couple of swipes with a rigid sanding block to allow 'glue space' for when it was glued up.
IMG_0048.jpg

Fret-bending jig
IMG_0105.jpg

Roughly marking out the curved facets
IMG_0106.jpg

Helping daddy :)
IMG_0111.jpg

One of many cyano/activator applications. I was quite happy that the final carving would remove the chipped area, but I didnt want the chips to extend further.
IMG_0115.jpg

Forearm contour first steps
IMG_0121.jpg

Close up of rear 'belly' curve. Note the duck taped coarse Liogier. This was used for most of the hogging, then I moved to a grain 8 and then a half-round grain 15 before working with 80-grit sandpaper and up through the grits. It truly is a pleasure working with these rasps.
IMG_0130.jpg

The curves beginning to take shape and flow
IMG_0134.jpg

The body near-as-damnit finish sanded
IMG_0149.jpg

(please see next post for remaining images)

Attachments

• IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 1,481
  • IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,481
  • IMG_0105.jpg
    IMG_0105.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 1,481
  • IMG_0106.jpg
    IMG_0106.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 1,481
  • IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 1,481
  • IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 1,481
  • IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 1,481
  • IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 1,481
  • IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 1,481
  • IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 1,481
And the remainder of this update :

A further shot of the (nearly finished) body :
IMG_0148.jpg

Frets bent, cut and lined up. Neck radiused.
IMG_0153.jpg

Triangular file to bevel the edges of the fret slot. I think, with hindsight, I over-filed the slots. I'll know for next time....
IMG_0156.jpg

The frets inserted. You may be able to notice the lifted fret-ends and copious superglue 'fixer'. Again, more experience for the next one.
IMG_0158.jpg

Glueing up the neck join. A very definite 'eeeeeeek' moment.
IMG_0169.jpg

And completely out of linear order, here's an alternative use for a pram whilst i glued the headstock veneer on :)
IMG_0040.jpg

Right then, as usual, any comments/suggestions/criticisms welcome :)

Thanks for looking,
Adam

Attachments

• IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 1,479
  • IMG_0153.jpg
    IMG_0153.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 1,479
  • IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 1,479
  • IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,479
  • IMG_0169.jpg
    IMG_0169.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 1,479
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 1,479
Looking really good and well documented. The shape looks nice, a sort of rounded strat!

The forearm chamfer looks a bit bulbous, I tend to find a flatter chamfer to be a bit more comfortable but it may just be the angle of the photo.

I like the inlay. Are the raised fret ends going to cause buzz?

Mick

i didn't like this guitar when i first saw it, but it is growing on me. great wip

Mick - I think it might be just the photo. The contour is a little bulbous, but I find it quite comfortable when sitting. The shape, if you can imagine it, is more like a cross between a PRS custom and a Satriani Ibanez (one of the earlier models) than a strat. But I see what you mean. As to the fret ends? Well, the replaced ones looked much better and there is a fair amount of cyano there holding them down (not very tidy or of a high craftsmanlike fix, but it should work), so with a fret levelling/dressing they should be OK. As for future buzz? Ummmm.

Mark - Thanks, not all things are to everyones' taste, so that's OK :)

Lewis - Cheers, as I say, the carving was fun (too much fun on the neck tho....)

Right then, time to go to work. Grrrr.

Adam

Rightyo then, time for another update, and a conversion from a WIP to a WNC (work nearly complete)

Since the last post, I have been busy putting the finish, and the finishing touches, onto the guitar.
First off was the construction of a holding jig to assist the fret finishing. 1" ply with some support strips and hardware from BnQ/Screwfix. Cutting out the 'divots' around the edge took a surprisingly long time, but it makes for an easy to set up jig. Guitar body held down with stretchy cord from BnQ.

IMG_0188.jpg

A close up of the height-adjustable neck support block (not very pretty, but it works well).
IMG_0191.jpg

And the jig in use. Pay particular attention to the amount of filing needed to level the frets. I am not happy about that, but I'll maybe do a better job of seating the frets next time...
IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

Marking out the bridge position, and drilling the holes for the bridge studs. Definitely an 'eeeeeek' moment. Again, pay particular attention to the location of the pillar drill. Somewhat less than ideal. And you will also notice the clutter-free and tidy workbench ;)
IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

A close up of the neck pickup cavity - with help from my 2 1/2 year old. Unfortunately, I did not rout the 'wing' bits deep enough for the pickup hardware, so had to go at it with a 10mm drill later on to allow them to fit. Not visible when pickups installed though, so not really a problem.
IMG_0299.jpg

Jumping forward a bit, the guitar has now had about 14 coats of Tru-Oil and I am setting up for the wiring of the guitar. Note the essential wiring-up items - freshly brewed coffee, chocolate and iPad for easy access to wiring diagrams.
IMG_0303.jpg

Some wiring photos, note the neatness of the finished job (!?!)
IMG_0317.jpg

continued on next post......

Attachments

• IMG_0188.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 1,356
  • IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 1,356
  • IMG_0196.jpg
    IMG_0196.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 1,356
  • IMG_0203.jpg
    IMG_0203.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 1,356
  • IMG_0267.jpg
    IMG_0267.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 1,356
  • IMG_0269.jpg
    IMG_0269.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 1,356
  • IMG_0299.jpg
    IMG_0299.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 1,356
  • IMG_0303.jpg
    IMG_0303.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 1,356
  • IMG_0317.jpg
    IMG_0317.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 1,355
  • IMG_0317.jpg
    IMG_0317.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 1,356
Continuing.....

Selector switch cavity - blue masking tape is my marking system for identifying wires
IMG_0319.jpg

Main control cavity. Bask in the neatness of the job!
IMG_0321.jpg

And now, the finished article. Ladies and gentlefolk, let me introduce you to the "Pinta LG" guitar, one of a kind :)
IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

So, things I am happy with :
The body is very tactile and sits extremely comfortably, and the weight is no worse than a Les Paul
The finish is just about the right amount of satin for what I was after. I think full gloss would have looked wrong, especially as I was after a pore-not-filled look.
The sound from the Bareknuckle pickups (Abraxas) is superb - creamy overdrive and very clear clean sounds just dying to be played in a pentatonic scale :)
It works and plays like a guitar.
Almost no fret buzz on first stringing-up

Things not so happy with :
Tru-oil build up around the neck join.
Neck angle too shallow leading to a 12th fret action of 2.5mm. Playable, but a llittle high for my liking.
Many, many mistakes made along the way - neck depth, neck angle, mis-drilled holes, thin neck, bad fret insertion, poor soldering on the pots, off-centre routs, wiring everything up and plugging in to hear only a buzzing hum (Damn You, missed-out ground wire!), messy side fret-markers, less-than-ideal bridge placement (chalk it up to experience, but a couple of strings wont intonate correctly as the bridge studs are too far forward for adjustment, etc

I dont have any sound clips yet, but when I do, I shall post them up.

So, thats guitar no.1 finished. The second has already been started, so I shall post another WIP for that one. I dont think it will move along nearly as quickly though, as I have had a lot of spare time this past month or two.
As usual, I welcome any comments/criticisms/queries/suggestions and thank you for all your comments so far in these posts.

Cheers,
Adam

Attachments

• IMG_0319.jpg
    IMG_0319.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 1,354
  • IMG_0321.jpg
    IMG_0321.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 1,354
  • IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 1,354
  • IMG_0325.jpg
    IMG_0325.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 1,353
  • IMG_0328.jpg
    IMG_0328.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 1,354
  • IMG_0325.jpg
    IMG_0325.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 1,354
  • IMG_0329.jpg
    IMG_0329.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 1,354
  • IMG_0337.jpg
    IMG_0337.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,354
Fantastic work!! Guitar looks great! If you make a thread for the second guitar build please put a link in here as I'd love to follow it.

adam

I like that a lot.

Could you redo the neck at some later date? Seems a shame to do all that work and have it spoiled by something that could just be shimed to the correct angle.

Well done for taking on the challenge.

Mick

Thanks for the comments folks :)
I really must learn how to upload a sound clip/Youtube, as the sound coming out of those Bareknuckles is what it's all about, whatever it looks like.

Mick - I really dont know whether that would be feasible. I know that titebond 1 (almost universaly used in the construction, excepting a couple of areas that cyano reigned supreme) responds fairly well to heat as a means of un-glueing, but it would be a helluva lot of work with quite a risk to damaging the finish/body/neck. Unless the neck warps a little now that it has been strung up, I dont think the effort (even if I had the experience to attempt such a thing) of trying to remove the neck would be worth the results. I mean to say that it is perfectly playable (not perhaps up with a PRS or Tyler or Anderson or suchlike), and it is, after all, my first attempt, so I suspect I will keep it as it is. If you are ever up in Scotland, you are more than welcome to look it over in the flesh (and that goes for anyone!)

Cheers,
Adam

P.s. As for the next one, I shall sort out some photos and start up a new WIP shortly

Back