Reversing a variable speed lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustBen

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an Axminster variable speed lathe with a DC motor but it only spins in one direction.

Is it possible to reverse it?

If yes, has anyone done it before to theirs?

Or am I restricted to one direction?

Ta

Well i dont know if it is do able but if you do remember that any thing that is screwed on to the spindle thread with come unscrew while turning

It wouldn't be used at speed. I was was thinking about sanding in the opposite direction to get a better finish.

I may be barking up the wrong tree though.

bellringer":3q8mzpd0 said:
Well i dont know if it is do able but if you do remember that any thing that is screwed on to the spindle thread with come unscrew while turning

An important point if you get the lathe into reverse. The Axi Goliath chuck has three grub screws to lock down on the spindle to prevent unscrewing when in reverse - other, but not all, chucks will have similar locking mechanisms.

Brian

I can't see it making any difference. I use to sand by hand and managed to get a good finish with the lathe running in the normal rotation. I changed to the Simon Hope sander just recently and it speeded it up tremendously with great results.
I started a thread HERE

Don't think it is possible with your Lathe.

The main problem is first determining what type of motor you actually have and what the circuit details of the controller are.

The Term DC motor can cover a multitude of designs, both with physical forms of commutation and electronically controlled commutation on permanent magnet units, suspect you may have a form of the latter.

Had the original design been capable of readily providing a reverse function I would have thought that for the sake of a flip switch it would have been added as a sales gimmick if for no other reason.

As mentioned above I don't see any great advantage in reverse sanding, using some form of rotary sanding, preferably slow speed sanding is more effective at treating rouge grain patches.

Whether or not it gives a better finish (I think it sometimes does), with spindles it helps send the dust into the extractor and makes sure you don't get your finger trapped by the toolrest.

Terry

Finial":2yurn7po said:
Whether or not it gives a better finish (I think it sometimes does), with spindles it helps send the dust into the extractor and makes sure you don't get your finger trapped by the toolrest.

Terry

You shouldn't have the tool rest in position if you are sanding on the lathe anyway.
If the extractor is positioned correctly dust will mainly go in to the area of suction and be picked up as well.

Pete

Quite right about the rest. And if you sand the underneath the dust still goes to the extractor. But then you can't see what you are doing so well. I prefer to leave the rest in place and reverse the lathe.

Terry

Back