Restoring a Wadkin cp12

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irish_Dave

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm new here so perhaps this was covered already.
Currently, I'm about 75% through restoring a Wadkin Bursgreen cp12 dimension saw. She was lying under a loose tarpaulin in a guy's garden, so you can imagine the state of it! She's now stripped down, cleaned, shot blasted and sanded, while mechanical maintenance and repairs are also close to completion.
I'm Irish and am having trouble obtaining info here, so thought it might be worth my while asking you lads, who I know love these machines. And having cleaned every nut, bolt, washer etc. I am really impressed with how this machine was built!
I have a few queries -
#1- I am leaning towards a fairly standard metal primer, followed by spraying a machine enamel satin finish, in RAL 6011, which I believe is the correct colour. Anyone any experience of this paint, or should I use a different type?
#2- The 2 pulleys on the main saw look like poor re-fits - does anybody know the correct sizes of these pulleys? Also, the scoring motor was not there at all, so an idea of the correct size pulleys for the scoring section would be great too.
#3- Finally, the scoring spindle fits in an eccentric type of cast iron bushing. The previous owner must have hit it with a hammer or something and its broken. Does anyone have any idea where I might get my hands on one of these? Would be expensive to have made...

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, hopefully I might be able to return the favour one day!
Kindest regards,
Dave.

Have you got the manual from the daltons website? If it comes to it I could measure the stuff on my cp32. Same size I would have thought. They and another company who I can't remember at this point do parts, but from what I've seen they're not cheap.

If you need the measurements just say

Nathan

Welcome Dave wheres the pictures, we like pictures on here. I have done a couple of wadkin restorations and have found a good primer is zinc primer. You can get it from a motor factors for about £10 ltr. It goes a long way especially when spraying it. I like using machinery enamel but when I get it mixed up I get the paint guy to retard the shine a bit. If its too shiny it highlights any flaw.
Mark

Cheers for the quick responses lads...
I'll take a few pics in the next day or two Wallace. Although at the moment, its lots of bare metal and bags upon bags of cleaned and oiled nuts, bolts etc. Thanks for the primer advice, I'll give that a go. As for the machinery enamel, I deliberately went for satin rather than gloss, as like you, I felt the gloss would be too shiny.
Hello Nathan, yes I did download the PDFs for her, but rather than sizes of components, it lists order numbers only...
Thanks again lads.

Latest posts

Back