Wadkin RS330

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PKD

Reaction score
I have a Wadkin RS330 lathe with a stand which I'm trying to sell with no luck , it's currently in a factory

Any ideas on how we can get this sold or even potentially donate as free to a good home if someone was prepared to pay for it to be disconnected and taken away

It's a fair size piece of kit

I have photos if anyone is interested

I have a Wadkin RS330 lathe with a stand which I'm trying to sell with no luck , it's currently in a factory

Any ideas on how we can get this sold or even potentially donate as free to a good home if someone was prepared to pay for it to be disconnected and taken away

Hello PKD,

I would be very interested in your RS Lathe. I would be able to collect and disconnect it.

Thanks,
Alf

Hello PKD,

I would be very interested in your RS Lathe. I would be able to collect and disconnect it.

Thanks,
Alf
Hi Alf
We have someone potentially collecting next week but if that doesn’t work out I’ll give you a shout ☺️

Any chance of sending the photos anyway? Particularly one of the tag. I have an interest in all things Wadkin.

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• IMG_4312.jpeg
    IMG_4312.jpeg
    304.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4315.jpeg
    IMG_4315.jpeg
    312.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4314.jpeg
    IMG_4314.jpeg
    314.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4313.jpeg
    IMG_4313.jpeg
    279.8 KB · Views: 0

Hello there.

That is a very generous offering to donate such a thing. I work with children in primary schools in central Manchester. I do environmental education and teach the children how to grow food. Everything I do has a link back to the climate crisis and educating people about how to better look after our planet.

As part of that I am trying to set up my own sheds project / tool library aimed at the parents and residents of our local communities, Hulme, Rusholme and Moss Side. However it’s going to be a climate shed, where people can access tools to work on projects for their community, be that growing beds, a water harvesting system or maybe just re-use some wood with the tools as opposed to simply going out and buying new all the time.

I have been looking for high quality, strong, well engineered machines, obviously at little to no cost. It has been really interesting as I love old tools and cleaning them up.

So far I have a wadkin ags12 table saw from a local hardware shop that me and my dad used to visit as a child, a wadkin evenwood morticer that is literally full to the brim with sawdust, a Meddings fret saw that must be nearly 100kg and a Myford/Drummond m-type metal lathe from the 40s as well as lots of hand tools from Freecycle and the like.

These are all fantastic machines that I am cleaning up and they still work. They were made well and made to last and that message is what I want to show and instill in their users.

You have made a very kind offer to the group and I definitely don’t have the amount of money that that machine would be worth, I have just somehow managed to be there at the right time when people unfortunately have to get rid of these lumps of iron. I have a Ford ranger and will travel to pick it up.

I can guarantee that it would be restored, well looked after and used for a good cause. Look forward to hearing from you or anyone else on the forum that might be shifting some of these great lumps on. However I know how much you all really value these old machines like myself :eek:)

Thank you.

Luke

Here you go !!
Enjoy , she’s old but still a beauty 😍
Thanks for that.

Unfortunately the "test number" on the tag photo got clipped, but looks like 987...
That would date the lathe to 1938.

Wadkin made good robust gear. I'm sure that with some TLC, oil and grease (and maybe new bearings) it will be good for another 86 years. I hope it finds a good home.

Cheers, Vann.

Any chance of sending the photos anyway? Particularly one of the tag. I have an interest in all things Wadkin.

Cheers, Vann.
Hi Vann, having viewed your latest post about Wadkin tags. I have taken the liberty of sending you pictures of the tags and also the machine that they are on. Which are Wadkin RS lathes.

Regards Stan

Attachments

• extra large faceplate on RS lathe .jpg
    extra large faceplate on RS lathe .jpg
    863.8 KB · Views: 0
  • extra large faceplate on RS lathe tag.jpg
    extra large faceplate on RS lathe tag.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • extra long RS lathe tag.jpg
    extra long RS lathe tag.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • extra long RS lathe.jpg
    extra long RS lathe.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • RS lathe modified to 12 to centre height .jpg
    RS lathe modified to 12 to centre height .jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • RS lathe modified to 12 to centre height 2 .jpg
    RS lathe modified to 12 to centre height 2 .jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • RS lathe modified to 12 to centre height tag.jpg
    RS lathe modified to 12 to centre height tag.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Hi Vann, having viewed your latest post about Wadkin tags. I have taken the liberty of sending you pictures of the tags and also the machine that they are on. Which are Wadkin RS lathes.

Regards Stan
Thanks Stan. Some interesting lathes you have there. Any Idea if they came from the Wadkin factory that way, or were they modified by some owner? The work looks professionally done.

Cheers, Vann.

Regards Stan
Hi Vann. The first photo is a 6'-9" dia faceplate on a RS headstock followed by it's tag the next tag is for the 10'-0" long RS using the bed from the faceplate RS shown. In the next two photo's show the 12" RS lathe also 10'-0" long which i am building at the present time this one will have the carriage motorised as it is a long way (10'-0") to wind the carriage handle and the electric motor is being altered (professionally) so the speed can be adjusted by turning a knob. I got the extra bed for this one from an RS that had been dropped while being loaded so i got it cheap for spares. For both the long lathes i had to machine the end of the bed so that they mated up properly and fabricate the middle legs. I also decided to drill a 5/16" diameter hole through the headstock spindle and also the tailstock which makes it easy to remove the drive centers etc .All of the engineering work and painting was done by my. I have never used a woodturning lathe as they frighten me and this one is the last one i will be building as in two month's time i will 83 years old and too bl??dy old.
Regards Stan.

Last edited:
Back