Restoration project???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stigmorgan

Established Member
Reaction score
So one of the school cupboards was cleared out today and at the back was what I think is a (rather beautiful ) set of scales in a case, anyone seen one of these before? Is it worth restoring to it's former beauty?
20221216_154949.jpg
20221216_154713.jpg
20221216_154709.jpg

Standard school chemistry/physics lab equipment when ar worra lad.
I expect they've all been replaced by little digital gadgets.
The glass case isn't a luxury extra, it's essential when weighing tiny quantities where a slight draught would upset the balance. You'd close the front down and wait for it to settle.
They also have fine zero adjustment (the little screw things at each end of the beam) and some have sliding weights on the beam with a scale - that's what the other bar is for - you can slide the weights along the beam, from outside the case.
Note the plumb line for levelling (screw adjusters at each corner under the case), though the string is a bit short.
Just short of a set of weights in a nice little box. They went down to fractions of a gram, can't remember how far.

Last edited:
It's not an apothecary's balance but a run-of-the-mill beam balance as used in school labs until the 1960s or so, when they were gradually replaced by the new-fangled top-pan balance and later by electronic balances. It is accurate to tens-of-milligrams, maybe milligrams if it's a good one.

The bearings of the beam are sometimes made of steel, but usually of agate. If agate bearings are seriously damaged you have a serious problem. Small chips are common after (ab)use by generations of schoolkids but are generally not a problem. The knob at front is to lift the balance beam clear of the bearings when doing anything other than the act of weighing.

The dangly-string-thing is a plumbline to help level the balance on the bench. Your cord is too short, and it looks as though the screw-on point is missing.

The rod at top back would have held a small masses which could be lowered onto the beam in different positions (by sliding the rod left and right) to avoid having to mess around with tiny milligram masses; that's what the markings on the beam are for. You would have to research the design of it, or manage without as it's not essential.

The wooden case is often held together by screws, which makes it easier to replace broken glass.

If I can find it I still have a set of masses with handling forceps. PM me if you're interested. I can also copy some text book pages describing the structure and operation if you wish.

Value? probably a few quid. Most people have no use for them and they take up a lot of room. I was given two and eventually gave them both away.

Les

It's not an apothecary's balance but a run-of-the-mill beam balance as used in school labs until the 1960s or so, when they were gradually replaced by the new-fangled top-pan balance and later by electronic balances. It is accurate to tens-of-milligrams, maybe milligrams if it's a good one.

The bearings of the beam are sometimes made of steel, but usually of agate. If agate bearings are seriously damaged you have a serious problem. Small chips are common after (ab)use by generations of schoolkids but are generally not a problem. The knob at front is to lift the balance beam clear of the bearings when doing anything other than the act of weighing.

The dangly-string-thing is a plumbline to help level the balance on the bench. Your cord is too short, and it looks as though the screw-on point is missing.

The rod at top back would have held a small masses which could be lowered onto the beam in different positions (by sliding the rod left and right) to avoid having to mess around with tiny milligram masses; that's what the markings on the beam are for. You would have to research the design of it, or manage without as it's not essential.

The wooden case is often held together by screws, which makes it easier to replace broken glass.

If I can find it I still have a set of masses with handling forceps. PM me if you're interested. I can also copy some text book pages describing the structure and operation if you wish.

Value? probably a few quid. Most people have no use for them and they take up a lot of room. I was given two and eventually gave them both away.

Les
I'm not too fussed about value but I did find 2 very similar ones on eBay, one was listed for £35 The other for £135, I just like the idea of cleaning it up and trying to make it pretty again, would love some literature if you have and may well take you up on the weights if I can do a good enough job on the clean up 👍

As promised, here are some book extracts which might be helpful. The first pages are from Chemistry for Organised Schools of Science, Parrish, 1899. The last pages are from Ordinary Level Physics, Abbott, 3rd edition 1977.

Les

P1060512.JPG
P1060514.JPG
P1060515.JPG
P1060516.JPG
P1060517.JPG
P1060518.JPG

That will make for some interesting reading thank you 😁 looking at the case today there seems to be quite a bit of water damage discoloration, not sure if it can be gently sanded back or if it will be too deep, the top panel of glass is also missing but that is easy enough to replace.
I want this to be a gentle restoration, I think it should keep some of the aged look so I will be cleaning up the wood and lightly sanding it back and then probably apply a wax finish rather than a varnish, anyone any thoughts on this?

Back