Respirators

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
The time has come, if not too late, to get a working respirator.

(I've got the cough, but not the very serious one)

I used to have the Australian Triton model but the electrics broke down and no longer available.

Who has got a respirator and what are their views please on the model they use?

I have a Trend, which is fine if you like that sort of thing, but I've found them all to be too heavy and ruin my woodworking. I prefer a twin filter rubber 3M mask and ear defenders with visor attached. Top-heaviness, difficulties raising the visor quickly and problems with ear defenders are key issues with respirators. But they do the job of keeping dust out of eyes and lungs well, and for turning there is a strong argument for them. As I get older I get increasingly suspicious of things that do more than one job at a go!

Nick

I use the saderstrum half face mask. Interchangeable filters from P1 to P3, it is not mechanical, does the job I need, I used them when carrying out asbestos surveys.

I had a battery one for a while. It gave me neck-ache, the noise was irritating and I didn't like the feeling of being contained. Expensive mistake. Then a pyramidal one with disposable filters, then one with 2 circular filters, then a Drager with 2 oval filters. I found all of these a bit uncomfortable because of the plastic against the skin, condensation and the tightness of the straps needed to get a good seal. And the straps perished.

I now use 3M 8322 disposables. Brilliant......light, no sweating, fit well. I suppose they are more expensive than those with disposable filters, whch aren't cheap, but life is so much better. Especially when doing fairly delicate work when you are bent over in one position for a long time

I have tried the older trend airshield and felt I was not being protected properly plus it was uncomfortable. I then went onto the trend rubber mask and that was horrible. I then got the 3M dustmaster which I really like. I do have a really good quality Scott powered respirator for sale if your interested.
mark

I use the older model Trend air shield and find it very effective. It allows me room to wear glasses (which is a must now!) I also changed the battery pack so I can charge it in an hour. Overall I am pleased with it
Ian

Have a Racal Airlite, apparently called the AirSh*te by the manufacturer's more honest staff, with some justification, but it is light and easy to use until bits break. Also have a Record Turbovisor, which looks awful with the motor in the "crest" on the top but is actually very comfortable to use. They are a re-badged version of a German design which may still be available new, but are certainly worth looking out for on the secondhand market.

I used to like the Racal model. It was lighter than most. I think mine had a hose to a belt-mounted unit. It was easier to get on and off than those with motors in the headgear, and quieter.

I am very surprised there is not a greater choice and selection available on the market. I would have thought these days even a respirator could be a health and safety necessity even for traffic wardens etc. :wink:

But thanks, I am not impressed, I shall just put on a paper mask when blowing out the workshop and leave the jet air filter running more often. (that always seems to need a clean out when serviced)

I think the worst situation is emptying the dust extractor machines.

I wise decision in my view. But I think it is worth going for something like the type I use because they provide the proper P2 protection and are very comfortable to wear. I'm not working full days in a dusty environment so they last quite a long time.

devonwoody":9ki3nykw said:
I am very surprised there is not a greater choice and selection available on the market. I would have thought these days even a respirator could be a health and safety necessity even for traffic wardens etc. :wink:

John there are quite a few systems on the market, unfortunately to meet the needs of Health & Safety requirements at work they have to be very efficient at what they do, this and the fact that they are aimed at a sector of the market that has no option but to adopt them and can loose the costing in their accounting procedures means that they are priced outside the normal DIY pricing spectrum, but if you want to adequately protect your lungs then it is a price you have to pay.

devonwoody":9ki3nykw said:
But thanks, I am not impressed, I shall just put on a paper mask when blowing out the workshop and leave the jet air filter running more often. (that always seems to need a clean out when serviced)

I think the worst situation is emptying the dust extractor machines.

I'm afraid in that statement you have just highlighted the two most common misconceptions and reasons for the majority of DIY workers ending up with dust associated lung problems, as you are unfortunately only just becoming aware of.

BLOWING DUST out of anything let alone a workshop is the worst possible thing you can do as far as contaminating the air you are breathing, running a shop air filter does little to reduce this risk, by your own admission it always needs a clean out when serviced. You can't clean your lungs out and they have been processing the same dust stream as the shop air filter if you are not wearing an adequate mask.
Shop air filters can reduce the shop air dust load and limit the amount that settles on a surface when finishing a product etc. but if you are in there your lungs are doing exactly the same unless you have a good mask on.

Emptying or cleaning a dust extractor is about the most hazardous operation you can do, especially if using like many others a shop vacuum cleaner with inadequate final filtration and re-distribute the fine particles trapped by the debris build up back into the air in the exhaust stream.

A Paper Mask will not provide you with adequate protection, some yes, adequate no.

Chas. and all, I am in agreement with above post and that is one of the reasons I posted to see what respirators are available.

So to my cost I have found the health problems associated with dust and I have taken precautions to the best I could consider.

Hopefully my lungs will last me out. :wink:

devonwoody":2ih17atl said:
Chas. and all, I am in agreement with above post and that is one of the reasons I posted to see what respirators are available.

So to my cost I have found the health problems associated with dust and I have taken precautions to the best I could consider.

Hopefully my lungs will last me out. :wink:

if they dont are you giving them away to a good home :D :wink: :wink: :lol:

Having tried many respirators, some of which worked quite well and others were very poor, I eventually paid out for a JSP PowerCap lt. Initially I worried about the weight on my, slightly dodgy neck, and possible vibration from the motor. But my fears were groundless - it seems to filter well and gives low level eye protection as a bonus. I have become very sensitised to wood dust and this unit has enabled me to continue working in wood.

Bob

I use a half mask respirator and I run a dust extraction filter which is the best investment I've made. I tend to forget I have the mask on and carry on wearing it all day, when I take it off I have the mask grooves embedded on my face so it looks like I've squashed my face in a door.

I have never understood how much people will pay for a machine but will not pay a reasonable amount to save their health. There are respirators available for £200 which will provide protection. And if you keep your eyes open you can find really expensive protection quite cheaply.

I think a lot depends on what you are doing, that is whether you are in a workplace all day with dusty machinery or whether you are a hobbyist who sometimes makes dust . The powered respirators seem to have an assigned protection factor of 20 compared with 10 for the 3M masks I use (the Powercap seems to be the same as the 3M) so I get the same dust in my lungs in 30min. as someone with a powered respirator gets in 1hr. I don't spend long periods in dusty air, in fact a lot of the work I do produces no dust at all, so I am happy with the 3M mask. This choice was based on comfort not cost.

I use a 3m, belf-mounted filter with a tube to the headset. If I remember correctly, Chas has reviewed it here. I picked it up 2nd hand for I think £90 inlcuding a heap of new filters off the bay. (I have just searched there and there are none currently showing in the UK, but I am sure they'll turn up).

It's a great bit of kit and light as can be on yer 'ed.

If you are going to the Daventry turning day on the 16th, let me know and I'll bring it along for you to try.

Greg

Nick Gibbs":3007txis said:
I have a Trend, which is fine if you like that sort of thing, but I've found them all to be too heavy and ruin my woodworking. I prefer a twin filter rubber 3M mask and ear defenders with visor attached. Top-heaviness, difficulties raising the visor quickly and problems with ear defenders are key issues with respirators. But they do the job of keeping dust out of eyes and lungs well, and for turning there is a strong argument for them. As I get older I get increasingly suspicious of things that do more than one job at a go!

Nick

I must admit, I am finding this thread quite amusing; and for many reasons. Everyone so far has commented on various masks, some powered and some not. However there is no qualitive or quatitive fact as to why one is better than another. It has, shall I say ancidotal fact, although for most hobby woodworkers thats fine, but for the professional maybe not so.

I think due to the pure fact there are so many on the market, surley one of the maket magazines whould have done a survey of test of the masks. It is obvious from what I have read, everyone has their views and concerns about these masks and quite rightly so.
I mentioned in one of my post the scales of P1 to P3, P1 dealing with large atmospheric particles, P2 small micron particles and P3 gases, vapours etc, yet everybody so far seems to worry about comfort and to some degree price. Surley is it not what is the best protection for you health. Perhaps Nick might be able to comment on this or share a link if his magazine and done anything like this or would consider such an article. I often read H&S articles and reports I can get my grubby hands on from places like the HSE, H&S Labs and other sources, some when reading makes me cringe.

As I said I use a P2 Half face mask which works well for me, but others may state otherwise because it is not be made by this or that manufacture, or that it is not air powered assisted or that it is blue and not black or it fails to make the tea and toast. To be honest I do not give one iota for those reasons all I care about is that it does its job it is desgined for and I don't need to remorgtage my home to keep it in a good working condition. So how about a survey and a scientific one to boot.

I use the Trend Airace that i get on with quite well, I use the shield on light work, or remove for heavy work and use a full face sheild, the airace still fits under quite well,.

this with an record extractor at the lathe, and an 8inch extractor on the wall - i keep most ( not all ) dust at bay.

Back