Respirators

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
riclepp":37lpa5lx said:
Nick Gibbs":37lpa5lx said:
I have a Trend, which is fine if you like that sort of thing, but I've found them all to be too heavy and ruin my woodworking. I prefer a twin filter rubber 3M mask and ear defenders with visor attached. Top-heaviness, difficulties raising the visor quickly and problems with ear defenders are key issues with respirators. But they do the job of keeping dust out of eyes and lungs well, and for turning there is a strong argument for them. As I get older I get increasingly suspicious of things that do more than one job at a go!

Nick

I must admit, I am finding this thread quite amusing; and for many reasons. Everyone so far has commented on various masks, some powered and some not. However there is no qualitive or quatitive fact as to why one is better than another. It has, shall I say ancidotal fact, although for most hobby woodworkers thats fine, but for the professional maybe not so.

I think due to the pure fact there are so many on the market, surley one of the maket magazines whould have done a survey of test of the masks. It is obvious from what I have read, everyone has their views and concerns about these masks and quite rightly so.
I mentioned in one of my post the scales of P1 to P3, P1 dealing with large atmospheric particles, P2 small micron particles and P3 gases, vapours etc, yet everybody so far seems to worry about comfort and to some degree price. Surley is it not what is the best protection for you health. Perhaps Nick might be able to comment on this or share a link if his magazine and done anything like this or would consider such an article. I often read H&S articles and reports I can get my grubby hands on from places like the HSE, H&S Labs and other sources, some when reading makes me cringe.

As I said I use a P2 Half face mask which works well for me, but others may state otherwise because it is not be made by this or that manufacture, or that it is not air powered assisted or that it is blue and not black or it fails to make the tea and toast. To be honest I do not give one iota for those reasons all I care about is that it does its job it is desgined for and I don't need to remorgtage my home to keep it in a good working condition. So how about a survey and a scientific one to boot.

I think that is one of the failings of the magazines- relevant and up to date articles/buying advice and comparisons on these things. I havent read any of the British ones, but have the archive DVD of FWW, and I havent seen anything on respirators within that. The problem with respirators for even professional shops is that they are relatively expensive, so nobody buys several to compare them. If they did, the tests wouldnt be scientific, so probably only compare comfort for a particular user.

Following on from the comments made by riclepp I too have only two considerations regarding their use, a third consideration regarding cost is just a bitter pill that has to be swallowed.

• 1: Effectiveness of filtration, this involves the whole mask design not just the filter device.
    2: Comfort and unobtrusiveness in long term use, thus avoiding the temptation to remove.

Way back in 2008 I had the opportunity to check out a couple of contenders at the time for Nick Gibbs,

If I have to replace my current setup it would probably be the JSP unit That Richard Findley Uses or at least parts of the system that would integrate with what I already have.

CHJ":2gq7jy98 said:
Following on from the comments made by riclepp I too have only two considerations regarding their use, a third consideration regarding cost is just a bitter pill that has to be swallowed.

• 1: Effectiveness of filtration, this involves the whole mask design not just the filter device.
    2: Comfort and unobtrusiveness in long term use, thus avoiding the temptation to remove.

Way back in 2008 I had the opportunity to check out a couple of contenders at the time for Nick Gibbs,

If I have to replace my current setup it would probably be the JSP unit That Richard Findley Uses or at least parts of the system that would integrate with what I already have.

Nice to see, that it is not only me :wink: :wink:

Are any of these powered belt mounted filters available with a half mask?

I ask because I am quite used to working in a 3m 4277 mask and I dont want to use a full face effort, I know that if its annoying I just wont use it. No wood turning involved and I'd just put on some safety glasses or face shield for any tasks that required eye protection.

We tested respirators at Good Woodworking many years ago. Tobias Kaye, the wood turner, did a fair bit of research then. More recently Chas Jones did a small group test of them in the Oct/Nov 2008 issue of British Woodworking. You can buy a back issue at www.pocketmags.co.uk for iPad etc... It wasn't exhaustive, nor scientific, but please don't get me started on the economics of woodworking mags in the UK. We've been there too often in the past!

Nick

Nick Gibbs":34gxy15h said:
We tested respirators at Good Woodworking many years ago. Tobias Kaye, the wood turner, did a fair bit of research then. More recently Chas Jones did a small group test of them in the Oct/Nov 2008 issue of British Woodworking. You can buy a back issue at http://www.pocketmags.co.uk for iPad etc... It wasn't exhaustive, nor scientific, but please don't get me started on the economics of woodworking mags in the UK. We've been there too often in the past!

Nick

Hi Nick

I did'nt that was someone else :)

" but please don't get me started on the economics of woodworking mags in the UK. We've been there too often in the past"

I didnt mention any of this :)

Sorry. Somebody said something about British magazines. I get all defensive when we're compared to US mags.

Nick

I base my decisions on what I wear to protect myself by trial and error. I have become very intollerant to dust in any form. So if I have a reaction I know somethings not right. The best for me so far is the 3M dustmaster, with p2 and odour filter. But that still has its shortfalls when I'm grinding due to air being forced under the visor. I was very lucky to find a scott respirator and a phantom one at a carboot recently. I nearly snapped the mans hand off when he said the price. So far I have tried
various paper and cloth masks
Trend airace
Trend airshield
Various rubber masks :oops:
3M dustmaster
Scott proflow
Phantom
Homemade shield with air pumped from outside (works really well if stood at the lathe for a long time)

I shall have to get my Triton back into operation this year. Its no problem to wear but battery life is only 3 hours and even that drops off .

They are the CD type batteries and the motor is suspended from the waist which is also getting a problem as age progresses.

Back