Respirator advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lung disease is horrible and you die a horrible death!

Sorry if thats a bit extreme but ive spent the better half of my life working in health industry!

HeliGav":2gjcktg6 said:
I use a Numatic NVD750 Workshop Vacuum Extractor from axeminister, says on the box that it goes down to 0.5 micron filtration, but the bonus is that the exit port where to below 0.5 micron stuff is blown out has a pipe to aim outside so that makes it a 0.0 micron filter in my book! Also wear a disposable p3 filter mask as a can get hold of these free from a friend.

How do you find the NVD750, I take it this is the twin motor version.
Reg

Not sure what kind of building you work in but another cheap idea is to simply vent outside. Sure, you will get cold in the winter but a fan is cheap and may be simple to install in a shed. Obviously you need to let new air in and there is a risk of sucking dusty air back in so a little thought is needed and possibly a bit of extra ducting. Also you might upset neighbours on washing day......

shad3925":2csf0xnv said:
Hi Jon
Many thanks.
I went to Axminster"s Warrington branch last Saturday ( Three local clubs were giving turning demo's), whilst there Matthew the assistant manager (very helpful) was very enthusiatic about the Numatic NVD750, are there huge differences between this model and the CGV286.
When using these extractors with your lathe when sanding is a special adapter needed or is it just placing the hose in a convenient place near to the sanding.
Reg

I have the NVD750 and yes, it's the twin motor one. It's excellent, the suction on the 4inch pipe may be a little on the low side, but then I've never used any other machines for my own ends, it's not a chip extractor, and a four inch pipe is a heckuvva wide pipe to be sucking through, so it may just be my inexperience talking there.

In order to use it at the lathe, I have a very MacGyver trick, I duct taped two very strong half inch Neodymium magnets to the nozzle of the hose. I attach this on the underside of my toolrest,nearly touching the workpiece, wherever is in the best position to grab the majority of shavings as I work. It doesn't catch everything, especially the larger chips, but seems to grab a great majority of the finer stuff. I have one of the thicker and flatter toolrest designs, so I'm not sure it'd work for you if you use a round bar one.

For turning I'm not sure of a better way to use it. I've seen folks use the 4 inch hose just mounted behind the workpiece, and others using a perspex hood. I don't think either would prove superior, but they might be less fiddly to use.

The magnets under the cushioning of ducttape makes for great grip and slide resistance, I've even used it attached straight under the bandsaw table, sucking the waste straight through the table insert under the blade, while cutting stuff I *really* didn't want blowing all over the workshop.

Can't help you much on the actual respirator tho. I'm yet to find one I'm happy with myself. The trend airshield was too heavy for me too and I also found that the angle the air came in (just above your eyes) made for irritated eyeballs after a while. Do the JSP caps avoid this? I've been using good quality P2 paper masks under a full plastic face shield until I find a better option that is affordable.

All the best in your hunting.

Nic.

Hi Reg,
I think that the Camvac's have equivalent performance to the Numatics (0.5 micron) but are better value for money.

http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Health___Safety/Dust_Extraction/dust_extraction.html

When I was buying my unit I took advice from Peter Hemsley and he suggested that for dust extraction at the lathe then 63mm rather than 100mm was the way to go because of the more turbulent and faster air flow than with 100mm plumbing. I have to admit that occasionally I get blockages when using it for floor vaccuuming but mostly this is in the flexible accessory hose when I suck up too many green wood shavings at once.

I use this kit...
http://www.axminster.co.uk/63mm-dust-extraction-kit

and one of these posable hoses which I have mounted behind the lathe and can be steered to catch as much dust as possible at source...
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-bendi-hoze

You can see it here pushed out of the way...
blankbetweendrillpointandlivecentre_zps12cb49d5.jpg

Hope this helps
Jon

Nic
Many thanks, it just happens that I have some Neodymium magnets.

Jon
Thanks again for your advice, a few questions
1. Which model of the Camvac range are you using
2. What are the noise levels like
3. How efficient are they in keeping the dust level down on general workshop surfaces.
4. Do you vent the Camvac's outlet hose outside

Reg

Hi Reg,
Mine is a Camvac CGV286-4-Wall, 150ltr. Twin Motor - Wall Mounted Dust Extractor, 2.5 in. inlet.

http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Hea...tion/CamVac_Extractors/camvac_extractors.html

With a plywood labyrinth added to the exhaust ports the noise level isn't too bad.

Here is an old picture of the prototype for one labyrinth with the two exhausts into one connector.
dust_ex_baffle_box_zps0c7044d4.jpg

The idea is to bend the outgoing air around a few bends without any constrictions so that there is no direct path for the noise but the air can flow freely. I now have two labyrinth; one on each exhaust port.

I have it vented inside my workshop) which is good at keeping the heat in although it is 2.5kWatts with both motors which also warms up the workshop. This is fine in winter but can make things hotter in summer.

It's very hard to answer the question about dust on surfaces in the workshop. I have no way of knowing because I haven't tried it without running the extractor and I also have a Jet AFS500 filter that I also run. Perhaps I can say that I do still get dust though, but it doesn't form very quickly.

HTH
Jon

This is my setup, i have yet to perfect it as it was a bit slap dash. The router table as a pipe going into the back of the cabinet that connects to the router dust extractor port. I have connected a Y junction on the ceiling over the table saw to plug both pipes to. I usually just cpnnect each machine up as I use it which is easy and takes a few seconds, can be a pain but didnt want to spend out on expensive tubing and gates so u get what u pay for. Im happy with it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,585
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,585
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,585
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,585
I have my Sundstrom unit now so will put up a review once I have had a proper play. It does look like a quality piece of kit though. My fat head only just fits the sr580 headtop though and it is still heavy. However, far better balanced than the Trend. I may swap the headtop out but will see how I get on with it. The fan unit looks superb.

BM

When I'm next off work I'm going try to rig something up to put between myself and the lathe as this is where most of the stuff flies off to, anyone got any pics or ideas????

Heligav, for tucking between you and your lathe, I'd stand by my magnet and duct tape trick I mentioned earlier. It's definitely the smallest and most discrete method I've seen.

I run the hose for the dust collector up the banjo to the tool rest, and then secure it under the tool rest using the strong neodymium magnets that I've duct taped to the nozzle of the hose, one on the short side of the slanted tip, the other at the long end, so that I can turn it around to follow the shape of whatever I'm turning to keep it close to the cut.

I can pm you a photo, it's nothing really to write home about but it works well for me.

I wish I had manufacturing abilities, as I'd love to make, patent and sell an invention for this, to take it a step further but I'm sitting on it until I've knocked together a prototype :)

Nic.

chipmunk":fv98or8o said:
Hi Reg,
I think that the Camvac's have equivalent performance to the Numatics (0.5 micron) but are better value for money.

http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Health___Safety/Dust_Extraction/dust_extraction.html

When I was buying my unit I took advice from Peter Hemsley and he suggested that for dust extraction at the lathe then 63mm rather than 100mm was the way to go because of the more turbulent and faster air flow than with 100mm plumbing. I have to admit that occasionally I get blockages when using it for floor vaccuuming but mostly this is in the flexible accessory hose when I suck up too many green wood shavings at once.

I use this kit...
http://www.axminster.co.uk/63mm-dust-extraction-kit

and one of these posable hoses which I have mounted behind the lathe and can be steered to catch as much dust as possible at source...
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-bendi-hoze

You can see it here pushed out of the way...
blankbetweendrillpointandlivecentre_zps12cb49d5.jpg

Hope this helps
Jon

Hi Jon

Many thanks for all the info
I have taken the plunge and ordered the same model as yours, it was probably the last one available in the UK.
Camvac has had a major problem where the maker of the extractor drums has let them down, consequently all dealers have run out and it will now be about 8 weeks for deliveries.
Does the Axminster posable hose fit the Camvac hose or do you have to adapt it?
I was also hoping to obtain a second hand Trend Airshield Pro but not sure if still available so will probably opt for the Trend Airace.
Reg

Hi Reg,
Unfortunately hardly any of the hoses fit one another without some sort of adaption, but luckily we're all woodturners here. So adaptors are not a problem for us to make out of wood or mdf or bits of old plastic pipe or whatever you have around.

The Axminster poseable hose in particular is a real odd-ball size. At 75mm rather than 63mm or 100mm I don't think it fits anything straight off :roll:

HTH
Jon

Hi Jon
Many thanks, I think I will opt for the Camvac poseable hose which is only marginally more expensive than the Axminster.
Reg

Latest posts

Back