Respirator advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shad3925

Established Member
Reaction score
I currently use a decent face mask but after a while it become quite uncomfortable and hot so I am looking for advice on what I should lean towards.
I only need protection from sanding items on the lathe and not against the likes of MDF dust.
Should I go for the likes of the Trend Airshield Pro or JSP Powercap or a floor standing respirator similar to the Numatic NVD750.
Advice and recommendations please

Reg

I use a Honeywell half mask respirator with changeable filter pods. I buy my filters from Seton, there's different ones for different tasks.

dmeu_86117031000_1_std.lang.all.jpg

Reg,
Positive pressure respirators like the Trend and JSP are more comfortable than other types but I'd suggest you consider all methods of keeping the dust out of your lungs.

A vacuum extractor, a respirator and a background dust filter such as a microclean.
HTH
Jon

Personsal choice really. I originally went for a Trend Airshield powered respirator. Works very well but is very heavy and uncomfortable for me to wear for long periods so don't use it. Expensive mistake! I think a JSP powered unit would have been better for me.

Now I use a Trend AirAce. I like this unit a lot. However it only works if it fits properly so you need to check - good fit is the most important thing. I also need to remember to shave off beard. Very few respirators work properly with beards (except powered ones). I like the AirAce because I also like wearing a full polycrbonate face shield (false sense of security I think) and the AirAce fits underneath and vents to the bottom without misting. It is light, easy to change filters and does not obscure vision. There is a clip on visor for the AirAce but not tried that - looks lik it will just collect shavings and chips - probably more of an issue if you rough iregular lumps of wood or use an arbortech.

I think the round cartridge filters probably work better at filtering though and you can get filters for welding fumes and the like for many of these.

Other ADDITIONAL things to consider - air cleaner - I have the Microclene style but I think the bigger Jet / Record style units are quieter. Collection at source - a high volme low pressure extractor with either a fine cartridge or venting somewhere safe.

3M do some nice powered units but at a price.

BM

I'm not as careful as I should be and making a big effort to improve.

I had a Trend Airshield Pro, but sold it on as it was like being in a goldfish bowl and the noise (although not loud) was annoying i tried the half mask respirator too but found it very sweaty and uncomfortable, I am now using a sanding wax(prevention being better than cure) , a disposable P2 face filter and have improved my extraction unit as well, hope this all helps.

Phil

I use the Trend Airshield Pro and like others have commented I agree that it is a little on the heavy side and noisy but these are only small inconveniences compared to the job it is doing in keeping the dust out of your lungs.

Regards

Vic

BM is right about the Jet filters being quieter than some - I have an AFS500 and it's been reliable and trouble-free.
I have mine on a remote controlled socket so it can be switched on and off easily.

The alternative to the HVLP systems is to use something like a Camvac HPLV twin motor extractor which will filter down to the required spec and both keep you warm and allow you to stay warm in the winter. They are noisy but can be made quieter by fitting a labyrinth silencer to the exhaust ports.

HTH
Jon

As you can see, there is quite a differnce of opinnion on the powered respirator. They offer great potection so do look at them but if possible try one for a period of time. For me, I got such terrible neck pain and locked vertabrae I had to stop turning until I found another solution. The more expensive respirators with a belt battery and filter unit would be perfect for me but they are expensive. I think the Trend Airshield pro has the weight quite high up and with turning your head is often angled down.

However, other people get on fine with the weight.

BM

Many thanks for all the informative replies.
It would appear from your comments and also online that the Trend Airshield Pro can be uncomfortable due to the weight and the noise could be a problem, JSP may be the way to go.

Jon
A large disposable income, I wish. It will have to be at this stage either vacuum extractor or the JSP or similar.
You also mention a Camvac HPLV twin motor extractor, any guidance on model?

Does anyone own the JSP and what are your impressions?
Reg

Hi Reg,
Point taken but it's easy to think it's not necessary and then before you know it you're lungs are shot.

I have a JSP powercap - the cheap disposable battery version with rechargeable NiCad batteries fitted and a polycarb face shield replacing the original. It's ok and does the job.

Fogot the Camvac question. I bought a wall mounted unit, a Camvac CGV286-4-Wall and it's pretty good connected to the 2.5" Axminster plumbing with blast gates for bandsaw, lathe, chop saw and floor sweeping - Does everything I need although the filters do clog after a while. Remove the lift shake the filter sack from the inside and off you go again.

Jon

Hi Jon
Many thanks.
I went to Axminster"s Warrington branch last Saturday ( Three local clubs were giving turning demo's), whilst there Matthew the assistant manager (very helpful) was very enthusiatic about the Numatic NVD750, are there huge differences between this model and the CGV286.
When using these extractors with your lathe when sanding is a special adapter needed or is it just placing the hose in a convenient place near to the sanding.
Reg

Reg,

Don't discount the positive pressure respirators such as the 3M Versaflo, Scott Tornado, JSP Jetstream, Sundstrom SR 500. They are expensive but can sometimes be picked up on eBay quite cheaply. They are very effective and surprisingly convenient to use. I bought my Sundstrom on eBay for £135 then spent abt £150 on a new helmet because I didn't like the hood (although it gives very good head and shoulders dust protection when sanding) - less than £300 in all for something which I find so comfortable that I sometimes forget to take it off.

The JSP Jetstream is one of the cheapest but the helmet may not be to everyone's liking.
Arco are the only suppliers of Sundstrom, but most of the others are also sold by Arco so they can be tried on at your nearest Arco outlet, in addition to all the usual workgear suppliers.

Duncan

Ha, thought I would take a look on evil bay. Just bought a Sundstrom 500/580. There is another going as we'll as an auction. I got a buy it now for 160. Money we'll spent if it is as described.

BM

Duncan A":3ne5ex6p said:
Reg,

Don't discount the positive pressure respirators such as the 3M Versaflo, Scott Tornado, JSP Jetstream, Sundstrom SR 500. They are expensive but can sometimes be picked up on eBay quite cheaply. They are very effective and surprisingly convenient to use. I bought my Sundstrom on eBay for £135 then spent abt £150 on a new helmet because I didn't like the hood (although it gives very good head and shoulders dust protection when sanding) - less than £300 in all for something which I find so comfortable that I sometimes forget to take it off.

The JSP Jetstream is one of the cheapest but the helmet may not be to everyone's liking.
Arco are the only suppliers of Sundstrom, but most of the others are also sold by Arco so they can be tried on at your nearest Arco outlet, in addition to all the usual workgear suppliers.

Duncan

Hi Duncan

Many thanks, I will have a look at them

Reg

Well, I guess I now have a trend air shield pro for sale, great units, not too heavy at all......sad to see it go...... :---)

bogmonster":lijd18w2 said:
Well, I guess I now have a trend air shield pro for sale, great units, not too heavy at all......sad to see it go...... :---)

:twisted: So are you selling it without the pain in the neck :twisted: :lol: :lol:

I over time had all the dust proctors that have been mentioned , :roll: The last one I had I bought secondhand from Glenn Lucas ,he had been testing the latest edition and was keeping it . I cannot remember the make ,it was a full mask with the battery on a belt with a hose from the battery to mask .It was the best I had ever used . If I were to buy a new one I would go for the same make .{ when I sold my lathe it went also } .

I think a member on here had the same unit and had bought spares for it . I think it may have been Gregmcateer If I am wrong I apologies Greg .

Reg,

Back to the original post. If you can only go for one, get the respirator. However, I think a cheap effective respirator and an extractor would be an equally good option and could be had for similar money. My extractor is a Record Power cx2600 with the fine cartridge and paid 170 quid for the whole thing new. I have been happy with that and an airace which together is less than the jsp powercap. In my very small turning room the HVLP actually appears to do a reasonable job of filtering the surrounding air as well.

I think I am right in saying that you want a P2 filter or better. Although you don't use MDF, hardwood dust can be mighty small and it is those very small particles that often do the most damage.

An extractor alone is not sufficient in the slightest.

Unless you have a means to clean the air, dust will stay floating around for days so it is not just a case of wearing a respirator whilst turning.

Also try evil bay. I recently picked up a used microlean (axminster branded) 1200 for 36 quid. Record we're selling recon air filters for £100 about a month ago on ebay.

Worried I now sound a bit like a nagging mother......

BM

+1 for the Trend Airshield Pro.Never normaly have it on for long periods of time so weight is not a problem. Think they are great. IMHO

bogmonster":23sdlb2p said:
Reg,

Back to the original post. If you can only go for one, get the respirator. However, I think a cheap effective respirator and an extractor would be an equally good option and could be had for similar money. My extractor is a Record Power cx2600 with the fine cartridge and paid 170 quid for the whole thing new. I have been happy with that and an airace which together is less than the jsp powercap. In my very small turning room the HVLP actually appears to do a reasonable job of filtering the surrounding air as well.

I think I am right in saying that you want a P2 filter or better. Although you don't use MDF, hardwood dust can be mighty small and it is those very small particles that often do the most damage.

An extractor alone is not sufficient in the slightest.

Unless you have a means to clean the air, dust will stay floating around for days so it is not just a case of wearing a respirator whilst turning.

Also try evil bay. I recently picked up a used microlean (axminster branded) 1200 for 36 quid. Record we're selling recon air filters for £100 about a month ago on ebay.

Worried I now sound a bit like a nagging mother......

Hi
Did you get my two pm's

I take your point in that it would be better to have both respirator and an extractor,will a reasonable extractor also keep the workshop free of dust, my workshop is only 10'x 8' and it's not only for woodturning.
There are so many options, the biggest problem is deciding what to get without blowing the budget
Reg

I use a Numatic NVD750 Workshop Vacuum Extractor from axeminister, says on the box that it goes down to 0.5 micron filtration, but the bonus is that the exit port where to below 0.5 micron stuff is blown out has a pipe to aim outside so that makes it a 0.0 micron filter in my book! Also wear a disposable p3 filter mask as a can get hold of these free from a friend.

Back