Respect to J.Smith's work.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swagman

Established Member
Reaction score
As mentioned on a recent post, I purchased a used sharpening stone from the U.K, with the box stamped J.Smith on both end grains. Traditional practice would likely suggest that J.Smith was the likely maker of this box. The stone itself identified as a quality Arkansas Stone, likely imported to the u.k by one of the major sharpening stone merchants of that time period.

The cost of the stone would have represented a sizable investment by J.Smith, and as a show of importance of this stone within his craft, the owner felt the need to apply his makers stamp to the box he took great care to make.

As a sign of respect to J.Smith, a decision was made to restore this box to a condition that would closely resembled what it looked like when newly built, taking great care not to effect the end grain makers stamps during the process.

The first stage was to focus on the top half of the box. The side grains and bevels proved quite easy to dress back, requiring no more than a low angle block plane. The top surface was a totally different matter. Pre- existing tear-out indicated the face grain was going to be a troublesome mix within direction. I could have chosen a closely set double iron smoother, or a high angle wooden smoother, but I had some slight reservations on their effectiveness in this instance, From experience, a fine toothed veneer plane would be the obvious answer.

The following photo shows the top surface of the upper box half after being worked with the hand planes of choice. There are 2 tiny spots of tear out at opposite ends that proved much deeper, that I chose to address with CA Glue.

The mortise side was also deepened by an 1/8" to level out its depth.

The lid was then sanded back to 400 grit to remove the fine toothing blade surface, and 4 coats of garnet shellac applied to seal the wood.

Photo showing the difference between the finished surface on the top half of the box, to that of the untouched bottom half, which I will complete tomorrow. Photo's will be provided.

Stewie;

nicely done, Stewie. I look forward to seeing the final result.

Any further idea on the timber?

marcros":334wobii said:
nicely done, Stewie. I look forward to seeing the final result.

Any further idea on the timber?

Marcros; the top surface grain feature reminds me of Merbua, but the underside colour shows a reddish hue too it, which is uncharacteristic. Its density and hardness is not that of a hardwood. but a softwood, more akin to working with grunge Meranti. Not sure.

Stewie;

Stewie,

I like the clamping arrangement, but how is the clamp clamped?

Pete

Back