Replacing my terrible table saw!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BS1101

Reaction score
Hi all!

I've recently been getting more and more into woodworking and have decided that it's time to get rid of my terrible & old Wickes table saw that was given to me. The saw blade is impossible to align correctly and the fence is nearly as straight as a noodle so making furniture or anything the like with it is near to impossible or takes a long time to correct the saws inaccuracies.

Currently I'm using my garage as my workshop and although it's currently reasonably empty, it also doesn't have the potential of a large workshop so I'm sure a lot of industrial size machines are out of the question although feel free to prove me wrong.

After doing a fair bit of research into what to buy as it's replacement, I am still unsure. Ideally i'd like to spend somewhere around the £450 mark although am open to saving longer and purchasing a better machine if strongly recommended. Also I have the question of bandsaw vs tablesaw but after watching many videos on YouTube I feel the favor is in the side of the table saw.

If any of you please give me some advice on what to do, it would be greatly appreciated!

I currently own a circular saw, jigsaw & single bevel mitre saw.

Thanks in advance!
Ben :mrgreen:

I bought a cheap table saw off gumtree recently and I noticed that the blade was not parallel to the mitre slots. I discovered there was 4 big hex bolts holding the motor assembly to the table. I relaxed those bolts and got the blade aligned to the mitre slot and then tightened them up. It made a huge difference in terms of accuracy of cut.

Have you tried that?

Back